engine damage from exhaust flow problem

I have a '02 gp1200r that I purchased last summer and ran just 1 long weekend. I was convinced by a local mechanic to have a performance overall on the engine including new bores...you know...get another 10 mph......

He completed the initial mod - claimed he successfully water tested it - and I took delivery only to find it lose power on my maiden voyage (after 15 minutes).

He blamed that on a bad rectifier, than a bad solenoid and then a bad starter. After installing new...he then water tested and 'claimed' the 3rd cylinder blew.

He has been working on it since (2 months now). He now claims it needs 'a new motor'. He is blaming it on an exhaust mod he found that - he claims - restricted air flow causing undue heat.

I'm a little concerned since the exhaust mod was there when I purchased it - is he just using this as an excuse to blame the problem on something that existed originally.

Any insight would be appreciated....

Craig

+1
    Craig, I'm not sure whether he's right or wrong but the fact of the matter is he did the mods and water tested the ski (supposedly) then he had to know that everything else will work per his mods. He was responsible to check anything that could have a detrimental effect on the mods he was doing for you! So if exhaust was part of that, he had to check the exhaust to check for the flow...

Sorry to hear the pain you are going through with this ordeal. Merry Christmas!

What exactly is the Exhaust Mod?

+1
    It sounds like your mechanic did NOT know what he was doing. and didn't tune and check the ski like he was suppose to. you can NOT just throw parts at these skis and expect them to be wright with just a couple of test rides unless you know about them and how to mod and tune them.

If he said it was wright and it blew 15min. after you got it back from him. in my opinion he should be held responsible and should make the needed repairs at his expense.

+1
    Bull?#$#
    If an exhaust mod restricted exhaust flow, it would have reduced the power the engine could make and less heat would be generated. In a 2 stroke if you reduce how much air can get out, you reduce how much air, AND fuel, that can get in, so there is less heat generated. Not to mention the engine would be down on power from the beginning.
    Sounds like he did not jet it up for the increased power his "performance build" created.
    PS, 2 strokes can run very well when jetted lean, UNTIL you push it. Thats why so many guys mention they were running fine for a couple of hours(easy break-in) but then suddenly seized when ridden a bit more aggressively. Been there, done that, seen it.

+1
    "He blamed that on a bad rectifier, than a bad solenoid and then a bad starter. After installing new...he then water tested and 'claimed' the 3rd cylinder blew."

I Blame A bad Mechanic who is a good liar.
    sorry to hear that

+1
    Sounds to me like your "mechanic" did not get to the root of the first engine failure (probably bad rear crank seal or carb issues) and consequently led to another failure. You need to know why the engine blew before it can be fixed properly.

Quote Originally Posted by Myself View Post
    Sounds to me like your "mechanic" did not get to the root of the first engine failure (probably bad rear crank seal or carb issues) and consequently led to another failure. You need to know why the engine blew before it can be fixed properly.
    +1!

also... RE: "He blamed that on a bad rectifier, than a bad solenoid and then a bad starter."...... the solenoid and starter have NOTHING to do with how the craft runs once it's started!! THAT is a sign that someone is grasping for straws!!

Thread Information