Problem with engine turning but not starting

Hi all, the forum has helped me out so I thought I would share my experience today.

The jet ski was fine all morning then I parked it on the beach,

after 2 min got back on, the engine would turn over but not start.

Got towed back and went straight to the mechanics, they said I would have a split inter cooler or exhaust system and water had got into the engine and that's why itís not starting.

Well I shit myself, they canít see me until next week and If I have salt water in my engine, it will be nice and rusty by then.

I took it home and took the exhaust system apart and there was no water, I did remember when I used to start the engine I could hear the fuel pump but not anymore.

I undid the plug and put it back in, put the key on and I could hear it wine again.

I pressed start and away she went,

A question for anyone that has had this happened to them, is it possible that there could be an intermittent fault with the pump or more likely just a bad connection that I fixed.

Peter

Kiwi spanner handler
    +1
    if there is no obvious corrosion at the plug connector I would replace the pump.

+1
    I'd find a different mechanic.
    Sounds like they were going to screw you with a bunch of things that didn't need to be done.
    It does sound like you need a new fuel pump.

+1
    FYI you said you got it towed in how did you do so. What kind of ski do you have, you got to be careful towing these ski's in the water without clamping inlet hoses or you can injest water internally and you would really shit yourself.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter B View Post
    Hi all, the forum has helped me out so I thought I would share my experience today.

The jet ski was fine all morning then I parked it on the beach,

after 2 min got back on, the engine would turn over but not start.

Got towed back and went straight to the mechanics, they said I would have a split inter cooler or exhaust system and water had got into the engine and that's why itís not starting.

Well I shit myself, they canít see me until next week and If I have salt water in my engine, it will be nice and rusty by then.

I took it home and took the exhaust system apart and there was no water, I did remember when I used to start the engine I could hear the fuel pump but not anymore.

I undid the plug and put it back in, put the key on and I could hear it wine again.

I pressed start and away she went,

A question for anyone that has had this happened to them, is it possible that there could be an intermittent fault with the pump or more likely just a bad connection that I fixed.

Peter
    Either no fuel or no spark. Only two things the engine needs to start. next time put a FP gauge on it or pull the rail and kick it over. You get fuel mist from the injectors you know you got proper pressure. Pull a plug with the coil on and check for spark. You have both of these then the ECM is commanding spark at the wrong time which is very rare on a machine this simple with only a MAP.

Quote Originally Posted by shrabber View Post
    FYI you said you got it towed in how did you do so. What kind of ski do you have, you got to be careful towing these ski's in the water without clamping inlet hoses or you can injest water internally and you would really shit yourself.
    I just read about this the day before but didnt get around to getting a clamp, but I did tell them to tow me in at 5 knots.

Quote Originally Posted by wotxxxsd View Post
    I'd find a different mechanic.
    Sounds like they were going to screw you with a bunch of things that didn't need to be done.
    It does sound like you need a new fuel pump.
    It does sound like I need a new fuel pump, I gave it a service today and fuel pump not working again, gave the 2 outside terminals a test and 11.5v when plugging the key in for 5 sec.

Ok this is driving me crazy now, took the fuel pump out tested it with its own 12v supply and it worked fine, plugged the harness in at 11.5v and it wouldn't work. I traced the cable back to the mpem where there are 2 big plugs on the bottom and fuses on top.

I cleaned all the terminals pushed it back and it started to work again.

Has anyone had these terminal blocks go bad? they seem to be sealed very well.
    Last edited by Peter B; 12-23-2012 at 11:26 PM.

Thread Information