Cable throttle on a 2012 RXP-X

Has anyone tried doing this? Does the ECU go into limp home mode when the stock throttle body is not there?

Just thinking out loud at this point.

Andy

+1

Quote Originally Posted by whittlebeast View Post
    Has anyone tried doing this? Does the ECU go into limp home mode when the stock throttle body is not there?

Just thinking out loud at this point.

Andy
    It won't work unless you go back and change wire harness, ECU from old 2008-2011 PX and the cable throttle body.

Any reason why you want to this?
    Why

My bet is Sea-doo went to drive by wire for the traction control, torque control and speed control. It is far easier to calibrate the motor limiting the pressure in the intake compared to pulling timing. My guess is all you would need to do is mount some reasonable throttle off a car, and install a cable throttle setup and rock and roll. Full torque all the way up. The problem comes in if the limp home stuff takes over. We may have to leave the stock throttle hooked up to fool the stock ECU to think it was still in control.

It may be easier to just do a Megasquirt running off a MAF and take full control of everything. I would most likely do a Dynojet set up first to get full documentation as to how Sea-doo tuned it first and see what the motor was liking for as far as fuel curves.

Andy

+1

My bet is Sea-doo went to drive by wire for the traction control, torque control and speed control. It is far easier to calibrate the motor limiting the pressure in the intake compared to pulling timing. My guess is all you would need to do is mount some reasonable throttle off a car, and install a cable throttle setup and rock and roll. Full torque all the way up. The problem comes in if the limp home stuff takes over. We may have to leave the stock throttle hooked up to fool the stock ECU to think it was still in control.

It may be easier to just do a Megasquirt running off a MAF and take full control of everything. I would most likely do a Dynojet set up first to get full documentation as to how Sea-doo tuned it first and see what the motor was liking for as far as fuel curves.

Andy
    The fly wire throttle has also a TPS build in that tells the position of throttle so you will need to rewire to the old throttle, you can not just fool it by just leave it connected.
    You should purchase a vipec or a motec (M1) there is a few standalone management ECU that have control the fly wire throttle body.

In the long run I would prefer to have total control of the EFI and power delivery. I would find it fun to tune the traction control / horsepower modulation logic. Most likely, I would convert to turbo in the long run.

The conversion to cable would just be for the curiosity. Right now the bike will just be the wife's new ride.

Andy

+1
    a motec does not limit power output with the throttle by wire, unless you mess with launch control

Have you messed with the the Motec launch control? Does it only work with a turbo application? We do that stuff with the turbo drag cars.

Andy

Andy
    As jbombino said, it can and has been done. I've dealt with quite a few guys running the Siemens system on newer ski's that originally came with the Bosch ECU and DBW. Most are turbocharged as well.

Thread Information