+1

Chasing the CRAZY electrical Gremlims.......1997 spx trim malfucntion causes other is

Yep...Chasing the CRAZY electrical Gremlins.......1997 spx trim malfunction causes other issues

1997 Spx 800 stalls after reaching 40mph

Hey, pwc bros. My1997 Spx 800 stalls after reaching 40mph I purchased jet-ski last year. Of course there is work involved when you buy used.

Replaced leaking exhaust expansion chamber and recoat the metal rig with hi-temperature silicone. Replaced the old spark plug caps with MSD type, Replaced all fuel lines with parts unlimited clear blue,Ride plate. I will go with manual trim after this experience... electric trim suck balls!

Anyway, I noticed the trim motor was corroded and its connections. It appears the last owner decided to divert current from the positive and ground to go around the trim unit motor connections, so that he could have electrical current to the ignition system.

It ran this way, but upon reaching 35-40mph it would quit. The machine runs flawlessly at idle and during acceleration. However, at 40 I hit a brick wall or
    something.

Re: 1997 Spx 800 stalls after reaching 40mph

I have rebuilt the factory wiring with the deleted trim motor unit while using the electrical seadoo blue print for the year 1997-2000,(DOWNLOAD:SEADOO MANUALS.NET)

I haven't tried to start it yet but was wondering, if I may have left something out, that could also be the cause of the electrical mishap. Fuses are good.

+1
    You could possibly have a bad stator. you need to ohms test the stator and the ignition coil. Have you already verified that the RAVE valves are in fact opening?

+1
    I would also check the voltage rectifier, I had a bad rectifier on my 96xp and it would idle great and run fine till about 1/2 throttle and it would cut out, i put a volt meter on my battery started engine, the voltage was at 13 volt. I hit 16 volts when reaching half throttle and it would cut out. My point is meter your voltage and make sure your voltage stays below 15 volts in all throttle positions. If you get above 15 your rectifier is bad.

+1
    I see you replaced the fuel lines but did not say anything about cleaning the carbs. That needs to be done regardless of whether it is your problem or not. If the carb job doesn't fix it You can unplug the red wire coming from the voltage regulator and try running it. If that fixes it get a new regulator and you will be good to go!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Cliff View Post
    I see you replaced the fuel lines but did not say anything about cleaning the carbs. That needs to be done regardless of whether it is your problem or not. If the carb job doesn't fix it You can unplug the red wire coming from the voltage regulator and try running it. If that fixes it get a new regulator and you will be good to go!
    +1 check the carbs and the gas valve.

+1
    Carbs 1 time a year...
    Thats why I'm injected now...

Gremlins in your ski sucks....

+1
    Good Call on Checking Carbs!!! At the very minimun check the mini carb filters, they get gummed up from the gray tempo fuel lines. I use actetone and a small medicine type bottle and let them soak in there. Then use a Q-tip with acetone and insert in the filters and twist around until they are clean. Rectifiers are notorious for going bad on a 787 engine.

RETIRED !! In Mobile AL or Wherever I Want To Go
    +1
    Clean the carburetor internal filters first. That is a free fix. The fuel on/off valves also get clogged up from the tempo lines. Then I would suspect the rectifier as the culprit.

Thread Information