Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    +1

2004 MSX150 Questions

A buddy of mine has the opportunity to buy a 2000 Virage and 2004 MSX150 with trailer for 1k... They have been sitting outside for a few years and were running when they started their slumber. The seats are trashed and the sun beat up the gel coat. Is the MSX worth digging into if it needs BIG repair? How much $$ is too much to spend for repairs. He might get lucky and only need to replace the seats and a few small items under the seat. He could care less about the virage and will probably sell it. What should he look for upon inspection before purchase? What steps should be taken before the 1st wake up cranking starts? Thanks for the help & if he buys them you guys will be seeing a lot of me here since more than likely i'll be the one working on them..

Thanks!
    Jim

+1
    As you might already know... the 2004 Polaris MSX150 is a one-year wonder. It and its smaller MSX 110 sibling, both were only offered one year and as such did not have follow-on years to work out the bugs in them Polaris got out of the pwc biz.

They have a german-made, Weber 750cc twin cylinder, 4-stroke, intercooled-turbocharged engine. The only Polaris 4-stroke skis. Parts are expensive and so are parted-out used parts on fleabay. When they run right... they are great, with great gas mileage. But there are a number of common issues to be leery of.

>Foamy/milking oil. Water or coolant is getting into the oil system... leaky oil tank or bad waterpump seal
    >Rollover. Almost always leads to oil ingestion... ruined MAP sensors... poor running
    >Low battery. Won't start with cranking voltage below 10.5vdc... ignition won't power up. Needs healthy battery
    >Stuck turbo wastegate. Causes overboost and ECU limp mode. These can get *very* stuck and must be freed to work properly.
    >Nikasil plated cylinder flaking. Stock ECU is too rich at idle/low rpms... and along with non-perfected early Nikasil plating in the Weber blocks leads to flaking. This results in low compression. Requires bore and steel sleeve... or bore and replating to correct.
    >oily gunk/foam in the intake tract. Ingested by turbo, into hose to intercooler, IC gets nasty inside, then travels through hose/pipe to intake manifold. Ruins sensors.

So... if your checking an MSX 150 over to buy... I would check these:
    -- Compression both cylinders (plugs out). Should be 130-145#... and even across both. Low could be Nikasil plating failure, headgasket, overheated warped block
    -- Oil tank. Check for foamy oil.
    -- Oil level. With cold engine that's been sitting... the oil should not even be on the stick if barely at all. If the level is at 'full'... it is way overfilled! (this is a known problem... checking oil level procedure: cold engine, start and run for 30 secs, turn off. Pull oil tank dipstick, wipe, insert but do NOT thread it in, pull and read. Should be just barely touching bottom of dipstick up to the 'min/add' mark... NOT above)
    -- Coolant reservoir. Check for oil slick floating in there... that mean oil and coolant are crossing streams somewhere... not good.
    -- Wastegate. Make sure it moves freely. Should move about an inch "downward" and snap back shut (spring loaded)
    -- Oil in the intake tract. Remove the turbo-to-intercooler hose and inspect. Any foam/gunk/heavy oil film points to ingestion. Peak into IC... foamy mess is bad.
    -- Plugs. Should look even and like normal car plugs in color if it ran right.

When you go to start it. Always have the reverse lever engaged when NOT in the water. If you try to rev the engine out of the water... it will likely rev sky high and scare the crap out of you. Reverse engaged limits revs to 3400 so this can't happen. Check for flashing 'check engine' light once you get it started. Won't be able to "read" the trouble codes without Polaris dealer-only Digital Wrench software and special MSX-specific harness connector... which very few dealers have anymore.

If it turns out to not be a good runner. There is money to be had at your purchase price for parting it out.

I would buy it... but I'd like to have a spare!

Cheers!

+1
    Thanks BD for that link as it will come in handy..
    Damn Rip! That's what I was looking for! some detail..
    Yeah, I told him they were a 1 year production and Polaris pulled out of the PWC biz.
    I'm sure he'll get the ski's and I did tell him if it's a clunker then just part it out and sell the trailer and all is good.

On the battery power, is the MSX known to draw voltage or kill batteries?

I like the 3400 rpm reverse info! Thanks.

I'll get back with you guys with an update on the conditions found.
    Thanks again!
    Jim

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by ou812 View Post
    On the battery power, is the MSX known to draw voltage or kill batteries?
    Only issue like this I recall is when the System Interface Box (SIFB) goes bad. The SIFB powers down the ignition system after 2 minutes ("sleep" mode) when the lanyard is left in and the ski is not running. When this fails, it'll drain the battery leaving the ignition system powered up. Not sure how common this is... but I do know the SIFB is hard to find... pretty much only used ones off parted-out machines available anymore.

I'd like dibs on your friends if he decides to part it out! I'd like to have a spare.

Cheers!

+1
    Got a few pics from my buddy. Here's what he bought..

He was told by the owner that the MSX was bought new and had a recall fix performed by the dealer and then it sat for 6 yrs!! Yes 6! It has 1hr on it...
    I don't know what the recall was or confirmation on the 1hr but I will find out soon.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	148.0 KB 
ID:	289238   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	147.6 KB 
ID:	289239   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	206.1 KB 
ID:	289240  

+1
    Any direction on where to get an MSX seat? LOL

Banned User
    +1

Yeah I would say you need one....

+1
    Yeah... I thought my cracked seat was bad. But still all that for $1k... I'd have jumped on it!

All MSX models have same seat. Check for parted out threads here or ebay... they are sorta big and heavy.

The MSX engine looks stock. Can't detect any changes. I'm curious what the recall might have been. Wastegate solenoid?

Good luck!

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Look on the Flame Arrestor cover and around the engine bay for a small white sticker with handwritten codes/dates. The dealers often put the sticker on when they do warranty and recall work. The numbers refer to the work code that was done.

Another method is to contact a Polaris dealer with the HIN number. They can look up what work was done by any other official Polaris dealer.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information