Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

2003 xlt 1200 how many hours

New to PWC and I am looking at buying used. I have found several that are real nice and several that are junk but my question is more on how many hours are good or bad. I have found a 03 1200 xlt yamaha that is spotless it has 200hrs. Is this alot? I know all about the oil lines and catalytic converter but I am more concerned with when do you shy away on hours? I know lower would be better but is 200 high and should I be concerned about issues that generally show up at certain hours? All I want is a machine to ride for fun and pull my kids on tube or skis. Thanks for any comments from me the newbie.

+1
    At 200 hours it is due for a complete rebuild, use that to negotiate price. Rebuilt a 160 hour XLT last winter, doing a 210 hour XL1200 this winter. You may hear of a very few going up to 300 hours without a rebuild.

Banned User
    +1
    if it hasnt been gone through recently you can expect a full rebuild very soon. if you cant do most of the work. pass. keep looking

How do rentals go 300-400 without a rebuild.
    Any suggestions? Seadoo-Yamaha? What model? I am just trying to find something used to play with the kids and pull a tube on weekends. Would like to stay around $3k can I do that and find somthing that will last awhile? What should I get? I have found several on craigslist or other sites but when you dont know the mechanics on these things I feel kind of blind.

+1
    Rule of thumb. Most rentals are 4 stroke skis about 95% of them. You can get a lot more hours out of the ski your talking about as long as yo do the needed mods on it and maintainence on it. If you are planning on buying a ski from a person on Craigslist don't be shy about pulling the plugs and doing a compression test and looking under it and in the jet drive for anything bent of gouged up and half way repaired. Go over it with a fine tooth comb.

Re: 2003 xlt 1200 how many hours

I have owned a xl760 with 280hrs. Picked it up with 240 earlier this season. Still going strong with perfect compression and the engines never been apart. My trick is to run alittle extra oil in the gas along with the oil injection. Amzoil of course

+1
    If you're not into rebuilding motors, or paying someone else to do it for you, go with a four-stroke. You should be able to pick up a 2004 FX140 for three grand. You can look forward to 500 hours on that easy. Plus, your kids will be happy they don't have to breathe in the two-stroke exhaust when tubing.

Banned User
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by toyterrific View Post
    If you're not into rebuilding motors, or paying someone else to do it for you, go with a four-stroke. You should be able to pick up a 2004 FX140 for three grand. You can look forward to 500 hours on that easy. Plus, your kids will be happy they don't have to breathe in the two-stroke exhaust when tubing.
    Come on..... 2 stroke exhaust is awesome!!!!!

Banned User
    +1
    i love the smell of 2 stroke!

10. +1 by:

+1
    Come on..... 2 stroke exhaust is awesome!!!!!
    i love the smell of 2 stroke!
    Not to jack the thread but my wife doesn't seem to agree with you guys. When skiing, she struggles between getting popped up right away and inhaling XLT fumes or a long drag through through the water and easy breathing from the FX exhaust.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information