Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    +1

Riding from Moline Il to Mobile AL, any experiences?

Hello, I am rarely on here but wanted to get some people's thoughts on this ride. First off We are leaving mid June 2013 and hope to be there within a week weather permitting. I'm riding a 2012 Yamaha FX Cruiser SHO that I just purchased. I have been riding for years but this ski is new to me. I am riding there with a friend and he will be on his 300X and we have a ride back.
    We are having some containers built to carry extra gas,tools,clothes and so on. We will be staying in hotels but no camping. We will ride the Mississippi from Moline past St. Louis to the Paducah area where we will go up the Ohio river to the Tennessee river and then Tenn-Tomm down to Mobile Bay and end up in the gulf.
    I know it can be done of course but I'm looking for actual experiences from people who have traveled this way down or maybe even done this trip. Any tips, good places to stay,actual experiences for things to avoid would be greatly appreciated.
    Also I will be posting the dates soon that we are leaving and anyone that wants to ride with part of the way would be fun too.
    We are doing this for a life experience but we are also taking donations for Children's Miracle Network which we both currently donate to thru the companies that we both work for, I am at Re/Max as a Realtor and my friend is a pharmacist at WalMart.
    Any solid advice or tips would be much appreciated.

Rich Bassford
    www.richbassford.com

+1
    Rich, I have some info. for you that may help and I will contact you as per your email on the REMax website...

Banned User
    +1
    Pretty sweet idea. I wish you the best. Have fun and good luck!!!!

+1

Riding from Moline Il to Mobile AL, any experiences?

That will be a heck of a ride. May want to check out JetskiBrians 2012 rig for ideas. I think it has an external fuel tank and extra racks for storage.

+1
    83 gator , sorry I didn't call you back, I Amin the process of moving and I will get ahold of you after I get moved in thanks much.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragdaddy71 View Post
    83 gator , sorry I didn't call you back, I Amin the process of moving and I will get ahold of you after I get moved in thanks much.
    PM Sent, good luck w/the move.

+1
    Cant find it right now but there was a thread of a guy that had already done this trip and some of the experiences he had doing it. It was a few yyears back but I imagine it would still be some of the same challenges. Best of luck and wish i had the time to do this. Sounds like a lot of fun. Be careful and slow down and enjoy the scenery

+1
    Just courious,how do you plan on getting through the locks???

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Snoman View Post
    Just courious,how do you plan on getting through the locks???
    Hey Sno, why would that be an issue? The locks are in place to allow passage of vessels for bodies of waters at diff. levels. As long as there are no construction issues, this shouldn't be a problem. The majority of this route is done every year by cruisers/houseboaters as it's part of the Great Loop. (And at least once by PWC: http://www.dreamrider.us/)
    Last edited by 83Gator; 12-31-2012 at 10:49 PM.

Formerly Ultra250 TN Aquaholic6801's Avatar
    +1
    You need to check with every lock that you are going to encounter, I dont know for sure about the locks you are going through, but there are some here in Tennessee that are closed to regular traffic....some need to be by appointment only, some only lock through on certain dates......

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information