Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

04 MSX 110 turbo, Hard start and run's away when it does.

Just picked up this very nice Polaris, love the looks, took a chance at buying this at a auction, 95.5 hours, its been sitting for along time, no fuel in it, put some older gas in it will fill up with fresh gas when I get the bugs worked out, took the plugs off they looked ok, sprayed alittle fogging oil in each cylinder, new battery , checked oil, barely any on dip stick, tried to start it she hickuped alot and finally after 4 min and giving alittle gas she started and started to run away fast, shut it down and retried,first min nothing then again 4 minutes of hickup's and she started and ran away shut it down, checked oil and it was an inch 1/2 over filled, kept checking and it went down some to an inch over, thats where i stopped and need the wise men to help me out on this, where do I begin? I know all about 2 strokes but this is my first 4, any advice on this I SOOOOOO very much thank you for?

Banned User
    +1
    I think if its overfilled, get it to the right level first. Over filling can suck it into the intake tract and foul sensors as far as I know on these.

3. +1 by:

+1
    Let the starter cool off in between attempts. 15-20 seconds per attempt?

5. +1 by:

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    See my signature links.

Put it in Reverse BEFORE starting the engine. This prevents RPM ran away.

7. +1 by:

+1
    Thanks guys, I will do the reverse when starting, Bought new plugs and fresh 91 gas without ethenol, so hope this helps, I know its cold out here but that does not seem to effect my Seadoo GTX DI it starts right up cold or hot, found out that it is tricky for checking the oil, At a loss on that, cold and sitting barely any on the dip, when started and ran away those few times, checked it a few times for a period of 5 minutes and it was reading overfilled and lots of air bubbles in the oil, probobly needs to be changed, so I will see in a few days and what I can learn about them in the mean time, thank you again., was thinking of probobly pulling sensors and injectors to clean them up but not there yet.

+1
    Yeah.... engage reverse to prevent sky high revs when out of the water.

Do a compression test. Should be 130-145# and even.

Well at least your cold engine oil level isn't at the 'full' mark. Proper level checking is when cold: start, run 30 secs, shut off, pull dipstick, wipe, insert but do NOT screw it in, pull, read. Should be just on the stick up to 'add' mark. Any higher and it's overfilled.

Pull the turbo-to-intercooler hose and check to see if it has any oily gunk in there. If so, it's had oil ingestion issues in the past and you'll need to thoroughly clean out the intake tract from turbo to intake mani (IC is the worst... hard to get out).

I like using some SeaFoam in the gas to help keep injectors clean. Careful what you clean the MAP sensors with... they are sensitive.

Sounds like your on the right track. Good luck!

10. +1 by:

+1
    Yes the dip reads an inch above overfilled, so thats probobly the issue the hard to start, What to clean MAP with? was thinking carb cleaner, I will do the Seafoam to and clean it up so far I have $2050 into it with the gas added in , am I wrong are these wourth 3k + ? I will also do a comp. check and let you guys know.

+1
    Ok did a comp check 139 and 141, tried to pump out some of the oil through the dip stick got some out but still overfilled, guess I have to buy a short socket to fit the filter which is a joke to get to and just do a oil change and make sure its at the right level , changed plugs and put in gas, very hard to start, took like 10 min with rests, and when it did she did not want to stay running had to give it some throttle and with it in reverse and stalling twice, she warmed up, seemed to run ok at first did not respond to the throttle when giving it gas, but after the last time of starting it she started to rev up and playing with the reverse to forward, she heated up pretty quick on the exhast, pulled the intake sensor that I think is the MAP and its clean, this ski was left outside in the cold noticed some water comming out exhaust, been keeping a light on the inside of the motor compartment to help keep things warmed up, still has the pink antifreeze in it, now being that it was left out in the cold can the motor get dmg from that? I need a manual for this thing or engine diagram, I will try to find one .
    Last edited by caliburn; 12-30-2012 at 04:06 PM.

+1
    Good compression. I'm jealous... that's my issue... warped block.

You can easily pump excess oil out of the engine by pulling one hose on the oil tank, sticking it in a bottle and cranking engine (with plugs out... no start). Check the service manual for details. See your PM.

Filter is a 27mm or 1-1/16". Open ended crow's foot with 1/2" drive wobble/swivel works well. See this link for info:
    http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/show...02#post1054502

As for MAP sensor... if they are not oily and look dry... I wouldn't clean them. But I'd use hot soapy water... and avoid chemicals. As I understand it, there's a sensitive filament in there that does the air temp reading (not the pressure sensor) and it can be fouled by oil so other petroleum-based stuff might also harm it.

Be careful running off the hose out of water. 30 seconds on a cold engine is okay. But on a hot engine... I've read 10 seconds max.

Pink coolant is stock... and if the reservoir is full without an oil slick on top, it sounds normal. The coolant will protect the engine from freezing temps... and as long as the ski was at least level, then sufficient raw water would have self-drained to prevent any freeze/expanding issues. Best to nose-high the ski on the trailer to drain then store level. I wouldn't imagine your ski should have any freezing issues.

Your engine sounds healthy... good compression, no oil ingestion detected... so if you get it running good for around $2k... I'd say you got a deal. Similar 4-strokes often sell for over $3-4k in good running order around my parts.

Good luck!

14. +1 by:

+1
    thanks a million, just got the manual so now Im able to figure out whats what, I will dig into it some more tomarow, ordered the filter and such , went to walmart they dont have 15w- 50, so have to try a autopart store, I plan to check all hoses and sensors and hopfully have a good running ski in a week, now I am dealing with my 02 Virage that I think the CDI is bad in it, no spark so I will run some tests on the stator and see what I can find out. thanks again to everyone.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information