Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    +1

Keep your eyes on exhaust filters. (with pics)

My first exhaust filter i replaced was at 25hrs, not that it needed it but as peace of mind and since I pulled it out I changed it, also gave the intercooler a good rinse and checked all hoses etc. The old filter had no corrosion what so ever just carbon but in good order still.

The ski now has 45 hrs and to my suprise this is what I discovered. All I was going to do was replace a gasket on the manifold which i never got around to before and maybe clean the intercooler out if needed.

This exhaust filter was riddled with rust and the honeycomb piece I had to fish out of the water box. My after ride clean down and maintenance has not changed in any way, no short cuts at all. I am just curious if anyone else has experienced the original filter holding up and lasting longer than the replacement ones even though they are original kawasaki filters from what I can see.

Cheers Jim

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20121227_113852.jpg 
Views:	127 
Size:	87.1 KB 
ID:	289178Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20121227_104535.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	88.1 KB 
ID:	289179

+1
    Man your not emptying your water box after you clean the ski.
    Lift the trailer up as high as it can go, so your rollers or rails are touching the ground.
    Also run the ski without water plugged in too empty the box.
    Even if you have to start it once a day.
    Mine is over 60 hours and still looks great.
    I am predicting over 100 hours is possible.

The damage is only from storage, not riding on the water.

+1
    After 39hrs of salt water riding my original filter other than being a rust color ,was in excellent cond both the honeycomb elements and welded connections..I put a new one in anyway....

Why some are deteriorating early and some are not has been puzzling..

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by jetdave56 View Post
    After 39hrs of salt water riding my original filter other than being a rust color ,was in excellent cond both the honeycomb elements and welded connections..I put a new one in anyway....

its not rocket science.
    The WB must be emptied whilst in storage.
    That's it, if that is done it will last.

Self Confessed Day Dreamer toomanytoys's Avatar
    +1
    When I pulled mine the other day I was surprised to see the colour of my filter had an orange rust colour. I tilt the trailer up and a few hours after flushing the ski I start it again (at which time I fog it). I don't normally get any water if I start it again the next morning.

The previous filters never really had the rust colour, except this latest filter. Maybe it's the hotter weather and the salt water evaporating quicker (when anchored while having lunch?) Maybe it's an inferior quality too.

I've got 30 hours on my third filter and I reckon it will go within the next 5-10 hours. You'd have to ride it really easy for it to last 100 hours. I just can't see that happening. At 30 hours I can see the outside of the element beginning to pull away from the outer case.

What happened to the 2013 filter rumours? Is it available yet? Has anyone got any photo's of it?

Cheers, Mal

+1
    50 hours on this filter. When I posted pics of it with it's orange tinge, many commented that my maintenance routine or not emptying the waterbox was the culprit (just as WOT is assuming here)... I knew that this was not the case.

6 posts here and 4 guys with rusty or rust colored filters... coincidence?

What is the case? Damned if I know. I do have a bunch of worthless theories though!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Exh2.jpg 
Views:	301 
Size:	102.3 KB 
ID:	289180  
    Last edited by Vman; 12-29-2012 at 04:25 AM.

+1
    Vman thats what my original filter looked like after 25hrs. No rust, no detereorated welds etc. Somethings changed but not sure what. Maybe the filter i purchased was a friday special, not sure. As for getting ALL the water out of the WB good luck. Unless you tap some plugs at the lowest point where you can drain it entirely after every ride you will always have a little water in there.

Self Confessed Day Dreamer toomanytoys's Avatar
    +1
    Yep, I was one. I'd never seen a rusty coloured filter myself until just the other day. I ride my ski pretty much every weekend. Mine's not bad, just a tinge, but it used to be black. Something has got to have changed??

Could be a Supplier quality control problem. It can't just all be "maintenance" why some last 100+ hours and others barely make it to 25 hours. But I do think how fast the Ski is ridden does play into the equation . . . how much remains a mystery (at least to me). JB

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by wot recession View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jetdave56 View Post

its not rocket science.
    The WB must be emptied whilst in storage.
    That's it, if that is done it will last.
    Nope not true....if you read others ex filter problems,they did just that....

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information