Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Should I loosen the rachet staps?

Should I loosen the ratchet straps on the jet ski while its sitting on the trailer over the winter? I did the rest of the winterizing but I wasnt sure about relieving the pressure off of the straps.

AWA MEMBER
    +1
    Yes that will be fine i only use them for towing anyways

+1
    I loosen the strap and wench strap after every trip. This winter I removed the rear strap altogether and put it away. No point it getting weathered.

Out West here I do keep the straps on (snug; not super tight). In the event of a big earthquake the Ski could get tossed off the trailer. The Midwest and East coast are not 100% immune from EQ's . . . . so that's some food for thought. Straps are relatively cheap and last a long time relative to their cost so I am not too concerned about replacing them at the first signs of wear. JB

+1
    I don't even use them when towing anymore. These things weigh 900+ lbs now, they aren't going anywhere. Back in the day when a couple of guys could lift a ski, they made sense. Not so much anymore.

+1

Should I loosen the rachet staps?

I disagree. Ive personally seen a member on here catch a curb pulling out of a parking lot, not tied down in the back. Ski jumped up and moved to the side. Luckily it stayed within the bunks or that would have been on the ground.....

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Jarrett View Post
    I don't even use them when towing anymore. These things weigh 900+ lbs now, they aren't going anywhere. Back in the day when a couple of guys could lift a ski, they made sense. Not so much anymore.
    we even use rear straps on our 8000# race boats. You should always tie the rear of a ski down when hauling it. You never know what type of situation you might encounter on the road and you could easly through your ski off the trailer. It is a bad idea to haul any load and not secure it good! Tommy Jordan

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Jarrett View Post
    Jarret, just a random thought here: I'm pretty most states have trailering laws that require proper attachment of a vessel to the trailer. You get in an accident (at fault or not) and your ski is totaled b/c it came off the trailer or it damages the property of somebody else, you could have a claim issue... just food for thought. And removing those straps off the rear doesn't take 60 seconds.

Happy New Year, guys. Have a safe one,

9. +1 by:

+1
    That's a good point, Billy. You guys make sure you strap your skis down when towing!

+1
    I'd rather not have my ski bouncing around on the bunks when being towed so I always strap the rear down. I dont imagine something like railroad tracks and such keep the ski firmly planted when crossing.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information