Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

About to look at a 2004 155hp Sea-Doo GTX...

Hi guys, total greenhorn here. I'd first like to say thanks in advance to you generous guys helping out noobs like me on your own time. I've been reading for a few days and from what I've seen I decided this forum was a good place to start posting.

I've been obsessively wanting a jet ski for a few years now, been saving for about 3. I think it's finally time to take the leap into the water. I just got a good job to start my career and think I can now pay for maintenance.

Here is the ad for the ski I'm looking at:

2004 SEA DOO. 4 stroke. Have had since brand new. Great machine. Will pull up to 3 skiers with a spotter too! Books for $4,325 sell for $2995. Only has 236 hours on it. Comes with trailer.

It looks fine in the pic. I've talked to the seller twice now and he's a nice guy, but the hours concern me. Also there is a hole in the hull which I talked him into having repaired before I go look at it without changing the $3000 price. Finally a few years back he sucked up a ski rope and had to pay $500 to fix it. He's always had it dealer serviced, but not winterized the last couple years, and it's cold up here in Maine. Other than that no major work has been required, he says it has run like a dream.

I asked him if when he brings it in to the dealer to have the hole fixed if he could have it checked out and the results printed out for me.

One other thing concerned me, he said he has gotten it up to 63 many times and from what I've read that seems a little fast for this NA ski, you think the speedometer is broken or he is just lying?

Since I'm admittedly a rook here, am I missing something or does it sound like a good deal? Anything stand out as sketchy?

Thanks a ton guys I've almost got my first real toy, I just don't want to make a mistake that will end up haunting my wallet for years to come.

To much is never enough Badvgood's Avatar
    +1
    Hi and welcome to GH.

Can you post a link to the advert so others can view it and chip in with advice?

Don't worry, I am sure no one from here will buy the ski from under you!

+1
    that is a lot of hours for a Maine ski
    IMO $3000 is no steal

+1
    If you do not know much or anything at all about skis, you may want to bring someone along who does. If you have a friend with some knowledge or know a tech it can provide you with a better piece of mind. As always, you're going to want to inspect the ski from the exterior. Since you obviously cannot ride the ski right now in Maine, you'll want to bring a compression tester to test each cylinder.

4 stroke is the way to go. However, the hours do seem a bit high considering the location of the ski. With that said, that does not mean it should be a deal breaker. A hole in the hull is a concern. I would generally stay away from skis with severe damage like that. Since you don't personally know the seller, you have no idea if that is a sign of how the ski was treated for those 236 hours. Many people have their skis dealer serviced because they don't know what they're doing. If the speedometer maxes out at 63 MPH, it's not unrealistic that he has "gotten it up to 63 MPH". That doesn't mean that he was actually going 63 MPH. The only way to truly know how fast you're going on the water is to use a GPS.

Personally, I think I'd wait it out and see what else comes up. It's winter time and his ski has a hole in the hull, he's not going to sell it anytime soon. I bought a 2008 STX 15F with very few hours last spring for $4,400. It had minor gelcoat damage and some dock rub. Sure, I got a great deal on the ski but it just goes to show you that the deals are out there. I don't know how much you're looking to spend on a ski, but I think $3000 for that one is too much.

Hope this helps you. Good luck!

Thanks for the speedy replies fellas.

http://maine.craigslist.org/boa/3457312142.html

It says supercharged but we cleared that up, it's NA. His wife put that in there by accident apparently lol. He's an old mainer I gave him a break.

I can't believe 236 hours is a lot but from what I've heard it is I guess. That means a $12,000 ski with a life of 300 hours costs about $52/hr to run after $12/hr of maintenance is added in. That's nuts!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by wastedyouth1 View Post

It says supercharged but we cleared that up, it's NA. His wife put that in there by accident apparently lol. He's an old mainer I gave him a break.

I can't believe 236 hours is a lot but from what I've heard it is I guess. That means a $12,000 ski with a life of 300 hours costs about $52/hr to run after $12/hr of maintenance is added in. That's nuts!
    It's just a weird ad. It says supercharged, obviously it's not. It says it will pull up to 3 skiers with a spotter too, and that's just not safe or legal. I just feel like the seller does not know anything about his ski or skis in general. 236 hours is fairly high for a Maine ski. If you were asking us this same question from Florida, it would most likely sway some opinions.

He also did not mention anything about a hole in the hull in the ad. That is kind of an important detail...

Quote Originally Posted by SCHNORR12 View Post
    If you do not know much or anything at all about skis, you may want to bring someone along who does. If you have a friend with some knowledge or know a tech it can provide you with a better piece of mind. As always, you're going to want to inspect the ski from the exterior. Since you obviously cannot ride the ski right now in Maine, you'll want to bring a compression tester to test each cylinder.

4 stroke is the way to go. However, the hours do seem a bit high considering the location of the ski. With that said, that does not mean it should be a deal breaker. A hole in the hull is a concern. I would generally stay away from skis with severe damage like that. Since you don't personally know the seller, you have no idea if that is a sign of how the ski was treated for those 236 hours. Many people have their skis dealer serviced because they don't know what they're doing. If the speedometer maxes out at 63 MPH, it's not unrealistic that he has "gotten it up to 63 MPH". That doesn't mean that he was actually going 63 MPH. The only way to truly know how fast you're going on the water is to use a GPS.

Personally, I think I'd wait it out and see what else comes up. It's winter time and his ski has a hole in the hull, he's not going to sell it anytime soon. I bought a 2008 STX 15F with very few hours last spring for $4,400. It had minor gelcoat damage and some dock rub. Sure, I got a great deal on the ski but it just goes to show you that the deals are out there. I don't know how much you're looking to spend on a ski, but I think $3000 for that one is too much.

Hope this helps you. Good luck!
    I am trying to reach out to my buddies and see if they know someone who knows skis but so far I've had no luck. I think I'm in this alone. I'm really glad I posted this here since I've gotten such good replies so early on. Wow so there are good deals to be had I guess I should just give it some time and keep my ears perked up. I really just started looking since I landed the job which has only been a week or so.

So if he has "gotten it up to 63" and the speedo was maxed out how off could it have been? It can't have been off more than a couple MPH I would think, unless it's broken.

Thanks for the help man!

Quote Originally Posted by SCHNORR12 View Post

It's just a weird ad. It says supercharged, obviously it's not. It says it will pull up to 3 skiers with a spotter too, and that's just not safe or legal. I just feel like the seller does not know anything about his ski or skis in general. 236 hours is fairly high for a Maine ski. If you were asking us this same question from Florida, it would most likely sway some opinions.

He also did not mention anything about a hole in the hull in the ad. That is kind of an important detail...
    Lmao, I know the ad's a little weird but I spoke to two other guys with these and they were actually sketchier. It's just Maine man, haha.

1998 kawasaki stx 1100
    1998 sea doo 1000 XP limited

Yea I'm buying now so I can hopefully get one from someone who needs cash. I talked the kawasaki guy down to $1700, but I'm thinking about going elsewhere.

He did mention the hole on his own once I got him on the phone so I was less worried about it. There's just very little to be had around here right now so I guess I should be patient especially since I can't use the freakin thing now anyway. I've got lakefront property so I just want to get a ski in there by early may at the latest, with all the kinks worked out already.

+1

I am trying to reach out to my buddies and see if they know someone who knows skis but so far I've had no luck. I think I'm in this alone. I'm really glad I posted this here since I've gotten such good replies so early on. Wow so there are good deals to be had I guess I should just give it some time and keep my ears perked up. I really just started looking since I landed the job which has only been a week or so.

So if he has "gotten it up to 63" and the speedo was maxed out how off could it have been? It can't have been off more than a couple MPH I would think, unless it's broken.

Thanks for the help man!
    Whether you know skis or not, you should know how to check compression. It is extremely important that you do this. If you do not know how, Google it. I know there is at least one thread here that explains it in detail. This is the best PWC site to ask questions, you're in the right place.

You have a lot of time. I know how you feel though, I'm looking for another ski myself after selling my STX15 in the fall. If you remain patient you will find a decent enough deal to be content with. Don't rush into something you are unsure about. Remember, it's much easier to buy than it is to sell.

PWC speedos are not accurate. They can be anywhere from +/- 5-10 MPH (usually +) depending on the ski. For example, this is a picture from the Hudson River this summer. I was not really doing 65 MPH, if I had a GPS I would have likely been around 58 MPH.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	7728144118_f45c3e2f03.jpg 
Views:	181 
Size:	144.0 KB 
ID:	289213  

+1
    That 04 ski I bet cost only $7000 max new
    Then the hours brakes down to 3 hours every day (90 days per year) for 5 years
    That is not a low hour ski and if you look you should find one with 1/2 the hours and no holes for the same price
    IMO find a different ski or offer them about $2000 max

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information