Polaris MSX 95-100 PSI - Engine Rebuild Under Hour

All -

I purchased a Polaris MSX 150 with 106 hours on it after having a complete engine rebuild due too flaking on cylinder walls. I can get the craft to start on the the trailer but no luck in the water.. thinking its due to lack of compression... Anyone have any ideas what i should try and look at to fix this? Head gasket maybe?? The ski still has 106 hours and dealer wants no part of it anymore...

Any help would be great thanks

+1
    Howdy,
    My MSX 150 was the exact same way. Ran great out of the water, but wouldn't start in the water. It was low compression... 95# in both cylinders for me. Should be 130-145#.

Have you run a compression test on it yet?
    How was the engine rebuilt? Bored and sleeved? Or re-plated? Or replaced?
    Was the engine ever overheated? Mine was and warped the cylinders.

Remember to always engage Reverse when starting it out of the water. This will limit RPMs to 3400...and prevent it from reving sky high (known MSX 110/150 issue).

Check compression first then let us know... we'll try to help you narrow down the issue.

Cheers!

Hey - Thanks for the response..

Yes compression test was completed and around 90 psi each cylinder. The engine was re-plated by the dealer about 6 months ago. No knowledge of the engine overheating. The motor has had no hours on it since the rebuild took place. The owner got frustrated with the ski because it wasnt fixed after dumping 3k into it. The dealer wants no part of it and wasnt willing to help so I purchased from the owner.

+1
    Ouch... bummer. 90# compression is way out of spec... and that's why it won't start in the water. I had the same problem. Mine came from overheating... warped cylinders.

Wonder if the flaking Nicasil was fixed properly... or failed again?? Maybe cam is out of time? Maybe blown headgasket?

How does it run on the trailer when you start it? Starts and idles good? That would be a good sign that all the electronics, fuel injection are working.

I'm afraid it sounds like you might have to tear into it to see why the bad compression.

Good luck!

Thread Information