Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

2000 Yamahaha 800XL cavatation or non hook-up problem

Not sure which problem I have new to these things! My ski starts and runs fine has .014 clearance between impeller and wear ring. there are a few small nicks on the trailing edge of the impeller I can post pictures if needed. When I bought the ski it did not have an intake grate, I have since purchased and installed the grate but have not had a chance to ride. But when riding this thing you would nail the throttle and it would take forever to get on plane. but once planed would take off like a rocket. Someone told me this was probably the lack of intake grate but I dont see how that could do that much. It is winter so no testing for months and if no rain will be even longer! Just trying to get ready for ride season! Thanks for any help!

+1
    Winter time is a good time to pull the pump and check everything and seal the pump. You could of had 2 problems 1 the missing grate and the other the pump needing sealed and if you have nicks in the prop then you need to check for cracked and bent stator and prop.

Does the grate do that much? To me it looks as if all it could do is keep debris out of the pump. Also you say make sure to seal the pump up I am assuming where it bolts back up right? Thanks!

+1
    Noticon75, what is ment by sealing the pump is .... either you purchase & install a pump kit or you fill in yourself the holes & cavities of the pump shoe. Go to Riva, look up on library ... i.e. install instructions. They will show you how to install pump shoe kit. This will then paint t apicture of what is ment by sealing up pump shoe. Hope this helps.

+1
    the grate is a much needed part that actually does more than just divert dangerous debris. it also helps divert and control the amount of water interning the pump.

Still hard to believe so little can cause so much! I will try it wish there was a way to test it so I dont have to wait 5 months or so! Thanks!

Thanks for all the advice and tutoring! I have a question about the instructions. First what do you use to cut out the old silicon that might be in the shoe? Second in illustration 4 the instructions show you applying silicon only on the right side. Is that correct why not both? Thanks only want to do this once!

+1
    I probably use too much 5200 or marine caulk but when you pull the pump shoe off to seal it go ahead and pull the complete pump out. NOT the transom plate that will be the only aluminum piece left on the back of the boat. so when you get done filling all the voids in the shoe and get ready to install it put 5200 or a good marine caulk on the entire surfaces of the shoe were it contacts the bottom of the boat. after tightening/torquing the bolts clean off the excess and smooth were the cracks were filled on the inside and outside of the shoe.
    What you are trying to achieve is a complete air tight tube in a scene that runs from the intake opening to the prop.
    If you are riding your ski and the prop is pulling water into it and there is a crack or void or space were air can be sucked into the pump tunnel it causes cavitation.

Holy crap there was more silicon holding that shoe on than in Dolly Parton! I swore I was going to rip off fiber glass! Then When I got it off I thought that I had cut myself cause there was what looks like trany fluid coming out of some of the cavities in the shoe! Now my next question In step 3 of the instructions it states "3. Remove the remaining two OE 6 X 20mm bolts holding intake grate to pump inlet shoe. Carefully clean the pump inlet shoe, intake grate and intake track. NOTE: Be careful not to damage or remove the OE foam gasket on the rear of the pump inlet shoe." WHAT GASKET? The only foam there are 2 little rectangular pads between the bolt holes. I can get a picture here in a bit to clarify.

OK Here is the pump shoe Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2013-01-05_21-41-37_220.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	15.2 KB 
ID:	289584 hope the link works! The FInger is pointing to the foam pad thing. there isn't much to it there is no way it does anything anymore!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information