1100 Wave Venture Overheat limp mode

New to here. Yes, I have read almost everything here by searching. Here goes.
    End result, Overheat light and limp mode.
    Things done. Have remove exhaust and clean out shells and sand in tip and it's completely clean and flows right out the gaskets.
    Have two sensors, both of them check good.
    It runs a little on the rich side by the plugs so the carbs and oil are not lean.
    Removed all the hoses and cleaned them out thoughly.
    Blew though head and rest of exhaust and flows well.
    When I put if on the hose, it never overheats and pisser flows good and warm. Everything is just warm to the touch.
    When I put it in the water, it hestitates and then goes well for a couple of minutes and then goes into limp mode. If you idle around for 5 minutes or so
    you can get back on it for a couple of minutes more and then back into limp mode. When my son had it out, he could read around 55mph on it. I thought it should go alot faster. I have also noticed that sometimes the pisser is not so good when on water and some steam mixed with it.

So, then next best choice I see is the impeller. It looks in good condition, but today I will measure it for wear gap.

Am I missing anything? Feedback would be great.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jvthundercat View Post
    New to here. Yes, I have read almost everything here by searching. Here goes.
    End result, Overheat light and limp mode.
    Things done. Have remove exhaust and clean out shells and sand in tip and it's completely clean and flows right out the gaskets.
    Have two sensors, both of them check good.
    It runs a little on the rich side by the plugs so the carbs and oil are not lean.
    Removed all the hoses and cleaned them out thoughly.
    Blew though head and rest of exhaust and flows well.
    When I put if on the hose, it never overheats and pisser flows good and warm. Everything is just warm to the touch.
    When I put it in the water, it hestitates and then goes well for a couple of minutes and then goes into limp mode. If you idle around for 5 minutes or so
    you can get back on it for a couple of minutes more and then back into limp mode. When my son had it out, he could read around 55mph on it. I thought it should go alot faster. I have also noticed that sometimes the pisser is not so good when on water and some steam mixed with it.

So, then next best choice I see is the impeller. It looks in good condition, but today I will measure it for wear gap.

Am I missing anything? Feedback would be great.
    Thanks
    I own two of these and the speed is about right. Mine usually run about 51-52 mph on GPS. As for the over heating problems, I'm not sure. The only thing I can think of would be the pump, do you have a nice steady stream of water shooting up out of the back of the ski? I'm sure there are plenty of people here that can help you trouble shoot it. Good luck w/ it, even though they are old we really enjoy ours.

Teddy

Thanks Teddy. The stream out the back is great. I was thinking that the CDI had a problem with this, but it works just fine on the hose. I don't want to put a new impeller in it and still have the problem. If the speed is right, then how could it be the impeller anyways?

water flow probably restricted from pump to motor- i had a ski did the same it was a flap of plastic wear ring that was loose and would flip over cooling hole in pump once ski was under way so start at pump hole and trace to manifold

I took the nozzle off, the last section of the pump and did not see anything there. I will work on it tomorrow and get the one last section of hose off now that I can get at it.

That's what I was thinking as well. Because if it does fine when you bypass it on the hose, it has a restriction somewhere between where the water picks up at the pump to the motor.

Thread Information