+1

Another Ethanol thread - E15 blended gasoline

Sorry if this has been posted - I've not seen the vid before, here or any where else.

Looks like it's being sold in a limited area, but I'm sure it has the ability to expand into the market place. Needless to say, burning this through the PWC probably isn't a good thing either...

http://video.foxbusiness.com/v/20008...s-in-your-car/
    Last edited by K447; 01-08-2013 at 12:14 PM. Reason: Clarified thread title

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    I try avoid all Ethanol gasoline blends in my watercraft, unless refueling on the water where E10 is the only choice.

For me, E15 will be an avoid for all my vehicles. Reduced energy content seems to offset the slightly reduced fuel price per gallon, on top of the risk of engine or fuel system degradation, even for newer models.

It seems that only Flex-Fuel rated engines are reasonable things to put E-15 into.

+1
    What crap. That would be the death of all 2 strokes especially in NJ where you can't get non ethanol fuel. Also in their infinite wisdom NJ made it illegal to pump 100LL into portable containers making it even harder to get aviation fuel. E10 does enough damage yet some how they come to the conclusion more is better, bunch of incompetent morons.

+1
    Five years from now we'll all be riding/driving w/corn stalks sticking out of the fuel port

+1
    Ethanol is the government peeing on us and telling us it’s raining. It’s ridiculous…we pay for it four times: our taxes pay for its production, then we pay for 10% sewage in our gasoline at the pump (which lowers mpg), then we pay higher prices for everything made of corn, and lastly we either pay for Stabil or a fuel system clean out on anything that doesn’t run every week.

I’m fortunate to live in an area where pure gas is still available in both 87 and 93 octanes, so nothing but that goes in my PWC’s, boat, mower, and weed eater. I do run 10% sewage gas when travelling with my skis…save towing the extra weight and not worth researching where to get pure gas when you’re about to burn most of the tank that weekend anyway.

And if you want to test your local pure gas station’s claim of 100% gas, here’s an easy way to test it. I’ve done this at both stations I buy from. Fill a container (long and thin works best) with a small portion of water. Mark a line at the top of the water. Fill with gas. Shake. Within seconds the water (and ethanol if it has it) will settle to the bottom. Check the dividing line. If it’s in the exact same spot, congratulations…you have pure gas. If it moves, it has ethanol. The Ethanol which is clear blended with the water and you’ll note that the amount it moves is almost dead on 10% of the volume of gas. Here’s pictures comparing the two:

6. +1 by:

+1
    That is simple and informative - thanks for posting Wade.

Banned User
    +1
    Good stuff

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Ethanol percentage testing

Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    For those who would be interested in checking their own gasoline for ethanol content, there is a simple testing method.

What this method does is add enough water to force the alcohol to phase separate out of the fuel. Then you can tell how much alcohol was present by how much the separation line between the water and the fuel has risen.

This compact and pre-calibrated Fuel Contamination Tester from EAA is one nicely done option, but you can do the same thing with a clear, volume calibrated fuel-safe container.

You can order one of these Daansen Fuel-Check for $15 from EAA, including shipping.
    Was also available from Jeppesen for $5.73, plus shipping.
    Edit: Google search lists a number of sources
    It is about 6 inches long, and uses a small amount of fuel for the test.

Instructions
    Add water precisely to the zero level line on the % alcohol scale
    Add fuel to be tested up to the gas level line
    Cap and shake vigorously to thoroughly mix
    Let stand 5-10 minutes, and read % alcohol in the fuel on the scale at the liquid line separating the actual gasoline from the water+ethanol mixture

+1
    Don't need a $15 kit or 5-10 minutes...you need $3.50 worth of "Tooters" shots, save the tube, and 5 seconds to make the call. Or an empty clear beer bottle such as Bud Light Lime.

Thread Information