Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    +1

02 Virage No spark

Yes I know its me again, could not pass this buy up for $400 with trailer, The guy I bought it from said he put a new SBT Top end Kit on it and road it for 4 hours then it died, no Spark, said he bought a used coil and changed it out and that did not work, I got the old one to verify this, good compression at 129 129, dont know what it should be,

Read a few hours on checking the electronic box, the Red/purple wire is crossed over to orange, bilge works as does starter, orange wires get hot when turning it over and with bilge button. red /purple is hot feeding CDI, turned it over and checking both Black/white coil wires are getting juice, but nothing that I can tell comming out the coil to plugs, so is this a bad coil?

how to verify the CDI is working right? since he bought a coil, I did swap coils out and still nothing, need to double check CDI but must have missed the how to on this, would be nice to have a good cdi and only a bad coil, please let me know and thank you all so very much.
    Last edited by K447; 01-04-2013 at 10:16 AM.

+1
    Sorry I finally found the how to on how to verify CDI,
    Last edited by caliburn; 01-02-2013 at 08:52 PM.

+1
    Checked Brown wire out of CDI while cranking, nothing, if I just press the bilge I get a ohm reading though, tried a 9v battery to disconected brown and nothing, not a very good way that I did it so I will try it again

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Battery MUST deliver more than 10.6 volts to the CDI while cranking the engine.

Press Bilge button while cranking to see if voltage to CDI improves.

5. +1 by:

+1
    Pressing the bilge while cranking, It drops in volts , fully charged new battery, hooked 9v up again pos to brown, neg to grey, pos ohm meter to grey and cdi disconected to stator, turned crank slow, did not get anything at 10v on meter on the red, green and purple, even took the neg meter to motor and checked all 3 and only the purple moved alittle while turning slowly, last resort I hooked a wire from pos battery to brown and tried crancking, no spark, so is stator bad? I am thinking cdi as well is there another way to check cdi and also how to check the coils to see if either the 2 that I have work work ?

Banned User
    +1
    Did you do all of the stator tests? I would be willing to bet its the CDI.

8. +1 by:

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by caliburn View Post
    Pressing the bilge while cranking, It drops in volts , fully charged new battery,

hooked 9v up again pos to brown, neg to grey, pos ohm meter to grey and cdi disconected to stator, turned crank slow, did not get anything at 10v on meter on the red, green and purple, even took the neg meter to motor and checked all 3 and only the purple moved alittle while turning slowly, last resort I hooked a wire from pos battery to brown and tried cranking, no spark, so is stator bad?

I am thinking cdi as well is there another way to check cdi and also how to check the coils to see if either the 2 that I have work work ?
    Drops in volts? What voltage is the battery delivering to the CDI while cranking?

When testing the stator Hall Effect sensors the meter must be in ohms mode, not 10v mode.
    Also, the ohm meter's polarity must be correctly connected to the stator gray and colored cylinder trigger wires.

I don't know whether the Hall Effect sensors could be damaged by applying raw battery voltage to the Brown stator wire.

10. +1 by:

+1
    I know that its 12.4+ volts power to cdi from battery when I depress the bilge, It drops however when I turn it over Sorry I need a better meter as The one I have is like trying to read German If I was to guess it drops to like 10v or below, I checked again with 9v battery to stator red wire reads high and so does the green, the purple reads nothing, is there only 2 hall effect sensors for the 2 cylinder or 3?

Banned User
    +1
    only 2 hall effect sensors on a 2 cylinder.

13. +1 by:

+1
    Thanks I just needed a 2nd opinion on that note, but at a loss on all the rest, so Stator is good then, so I need a cdi, next question can this be fixed, mfd works but has that blob at the upper left corner, I am thinking that its not repairible but need to know, if it can not then does anyone have a led screen, in a broken unit they want to get rid of?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information