2000 GP 1200 engine removal

I'm thinking about buying a 2000 GP 1200. Guy says theres a hole in the side of the block, but the motor still turns. I've worked on several Kawasakis and have had little to no trouble pulling the motors to do repairs. How hard is it to remove a yamaha motor compared to a kawa? what could cause the hole in the SIDE of the block besides a busted rod? I'm looking for a good project.. Anybody have any ideas?

how does the guy that is wanting you to buy the ski know that there is a hole in the case(s)? has he already had the engine out before? i would be very cautious about buying something with that kind of damage. hrd to say what caused the problem until you tear the engine down.

Thanks, he said he can see it. I'm worried its a busted rod. I'm not about to pay more for the crank than the whole ski. There's no one within several hundred miles of me who can rebuild cranks for skis. I've tried.

Banned User
    +1
    Pass

Banned User
    +1
    How much is he asking? Weight the cost of the ski plus the cost to repair, in this case assuming a full rebuild, versus the value of the ski when its all finished. If it comes out somewhere close, and you want to keep the ski and ride it, then it probably makes sense to do. I buy all of my skis with blown engines in them. You get them cheap, and you end up with what is essentially a new ski when you are all finished. I would much rather buy one that I can rebuild myself, and know its 100% right before I take it out, than buy a used, running ski for about the same money that could blow up tomorrow. I also don't look too much at blue book value. I look more at what it would cost to buy the same ski, in the same condition as what you will have when you are done with your project. For me, the rebuild wins out every time.

+1
    If he wants more then 800-1000 then pass. The engine is toast and will need a full rebuild with case welding and thats only if the cases are salvageable.

2000 GP 1200 engine removal

Thanks for the info. I didn't get that one. But I'm keeping my eye out for other Yamahas. I've really enjoyed rebuilding Kawasakis, I'd like to try a Yamaha. I hear lots & lots of good things.

Thread Information