Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

+1

Smoke from exhaust after rebuild

Thanks in advance for your replies!

So last year my 06 RXP ate some valves. I had a local shop replace with stainless, do some headwork, upgraded the supercharger, replaced jbox and engine mounts. The first time i took it out on the water, there was a water leak inside from where the techs forgot to tighten some clamps. During this test run, I did get a high exhaust temp warning. I would shut down immediatly, wait and then try to make it back. There was some episodes of sputtering the closer i got to the doc. When I pulled it out, there was quite a bit of water in the hull. Maybe 2-3 gallons when the drain plugs were removed. Anyways, when I got back home I diagnosed the issue as loose clamps, tightened them and performed a 2 hour test run the next day. No issues, no sputtering, great acceleration. What I did notice was that there was light amounts of smoke coming out of the exhaust.
    I've had it in my garage for a few months now and I fired it up. Immediately I noticed the light smoke. Is this normal with a fresh engine rebuild? Should I be worried about the lifespan of my new rebuild? If there is an issue, what do i tell the shop that did the work? What are the possible causes?

Thanks
    Tom in Denver

+1
    Light amounts of smoke what color Blueish white? Black is just a little rich. As long as oil Looks good and there is no Loss, No Oil in Water or Water In Oil. The water is not Losing any then you should be fine. If your burning oil or water from engine you will have tell tell signs. You should never be constantly adding coolant for that matter should not be adding coolant after properly filling it and getting all the air out (bleeding it) Its a sealed system. If your losing water you either have a leak externally or your consumming internally. Same applies to Oil Though Oil can consume itself internally Just from wear and thermal breakdown.

+1
    Shrabber,
    Its light blue and whispy. I will go check the coolant and oil levels today and post back. Question on the oil though, i thought you should check while engine is warm and in the water. How do i check it in my garage Do i have to hook up the hose and run it?

+1
    light blue = oil smoke(valve guides or head gasket)
    white = coolant and smells like candy(head gasket)
    dark grey or black = rich to pig rich

Does it hold in the air or disappear? If it disappears you might be mistaking it for vapor.

+1
    Yes check oil when warm

+1
    Did the shop that did the head work, replace the valve seals when the did the new valves. To check engine oil level. Get the boat as level as possible, start engine and run for 30 seconds, stop engine. Wait 30 seconds and then check oil level. Level should be between upper and lower marks on the stick.

+1
    Yes the shop replaced all the seals/gaskets. The oil level looked good, but is it normally supposed to have little bubbles in it? Im used to cars, where the oil just looks like oil, not with air bubbles. My other seadoo looks the same.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20130104_124844.jpg 
Views:	164 
Size:	68.1 KB 
ID:	289536Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20130104_124621.jpg 
Views:	147 
Size:	89.1 KB 
ID:	289537Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20130104_124619.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	91.5 KB 
ID:	289538

+1
    Called the shop and they said to bring it by. Might be a little blow by on one of the piston rings that was not replaced they said. Would i be able to pull the plugs and see?

+1
    that's a small oil leak. Are they bubbles or foamy micro bubble things? If you're getting aeration then you have a lower gasket problem somewhere and it's sucking in air.

is it worse when you start it as far as smoking? Does it smoke less if it runs for a bit? If so then it's guides. If not then the surface of something was not properly prepped , there's a gasket flaw or improper torque

+1
    I haven't let it run long enough to tell. It subsides at idle, but increases with throttle.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information