Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

+1

washing detergent flushing/WAZ

Waz,

I read in your post ride thread that you use washing detergent.
    Actually before reading your thread I saw a super experienced person on here using it. I borrowed some from him and did it myself, and again after i was done, I tasted the water and it tasted like fresh water lol

Anyhow, found your thread after all this while I was searching the net to see if there's any drawbacks. here are my questions for you:

1. Apparently washing detergents do have SALT in them. They put salt in them to make it more abrasive so when people wash dishes or whatever it cleans better. What do you think about this?

2. I know for a fact that when detergent dries, it can start cracking the rubber hoses (Over long period of time of course), but who's to say that Sat-away doesn't have the same charecterstic?

But seriousley why using salt-away if detergent doesn't have any adverse effect. I like to hear about this from everyone with any expereince....You closed that thread of yours so I could not continue that discussion. let's see if we can get away with 50 cents a bottle of detergent instead of $40/gallon of salt-away...

+1
    btw, I'm running an experiment with this as we speak.I'll show pics later.

Banned User
    +1

washing detergent flushing/WAZ

Salt away crystallizes if not completely washed out of the system and can actually be worse. Dawn dish soap or similar will not crystallize dish soap is actually made of petroleum (oil) so it protects as well if not better. The only downside is its not the most environmentally friendly and is made to go through sewer system and treated before going into the environment. With all that being said I have never ever seen a two stroke or 4 stroke motor die of corrosion when it's been simply washed out with fresh water. I have pulled 180 hr ultra motor apart fresh water flush only and it all looked good. The money you save on salt away put In the piggy bank for a motor rebuild one day.

+1
    i use whatever soap/carwash/truckwash/detergent i have on the shelf at the time anything is better than nothing in my opinion btw i do realize soaps are corrosive but i believe a decent freshwater flush removes these elements.

+1
    Not in any ways I was comparing it to do nothing or question your post ride. I actually have a rigorous post ride for myself, way over kill in fact but don't want to spend any more money on salt-away if I don't have to. I have used salt-away washing outside my ski and I am not very impressed with what I see. As long as detergents are not going to harm anything, I am all for detergent from this point on. I will use detergent then continue flushing for 7 minutes that should take any detergent out of the system. In fact I think in about 2 minutes its gone.

I think I bought 10 gallons of salt-away 2 years ago. I only have one left...Then detergent...
    Quote Originally Posted by sirbreaksalot View Post
    good question Capt Reza .

yes I understand what you are saying , but I believe that the levels of salt you are talking about are far less of a concern than doing nothing at all .

after all that waffling , I know that my post ride care is a good thing over nothing at all.

Waz

saltwater make up

Element Percent Element Percent
    Oxygen 85.84 Sulfur 0.091
    Hydrogen 10.82 Calcium 0.04
    Chloride 1.94 Potassium 0.04
    Sodium 1.08 Bromine 0.0067
    Magnesium 0.1292 Carbon 0.0028

+1
    I've never seen one either. My friend who has been a boat owner for 15+ years told me all he has done been fresh water flushing. Still original engine!
    No more salt-away....Maybe I should sell the last gallon while I can lol
    Quote Originally Posted by FIRE0021 View Post
    With all that being said I have never ever seen a two stroke or 4 stroke motor die of corrosion when it's been simply washed out with fresh water. I have pulled 180 hr ultra motor apart fresh water flush only and it all looked good. The money you save on salt away put In the piggy bank for a motor rebuild one day.

+1
    Great thread.
    I have enough saltaway for 1 more ride.
    I was not excited about shelling out $50.00 for another bottle.
    I am going to switch to truck wash.
    One thing I have always wondered?
    I too taste the pisser. And then re-taste to see if the salt his gone.
    Why is it that you can't taste the saltaway???

Self Confessed Day Dreamer toomanytoys's Avatar
    +1
    Yep, I've always used water only (22 years on jetskis). I tried MACS (a salt-away product) when I first got the 300x.

When I pulled the exhaust on the 300x I couldn't tell the different between the water passages on it in 25 hours to the STX-R water passages at 150 hours. I don't bother using Salt-away any more.

I spray the entire engine bay with reasonably high pressure tap water for a good few minutes, never used soap. When it's dry I either wipe it with a wax spray or those waterless wash sprays.

When washing down my off rode bikes, I use the same Dishwasher soap as I do for the PWC's. I have never seen any residual effects (rubber or metal) on my dirt bikes from doing this. The trick is to make sure via "flushing or washing" that all soap is washed off or flushed away.

A good Dish washing soap has a degreaser agent in it . . . this i think is effective in removing salt deposits on a PWC or grime on a dirt bike. JB

+1
    JB, It was great riding with you and seeing that trick of yours! You saved me from buying more. Thanks buddy!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information