+1

Any speed gains from intake grate on 05 RXT?

I know other models benefit but I can't find any info on wether or not there are speed gains to be had. I'm using my stock grate ever since I snapped the Riva.

Also will I need to do the pump shoe upgrade since I'll be around 77mph? Can I just tap for longer stronger bolts?

+1
    I know Skoepp did some testing on a RXTX and found that a stock modded grate was fastest followed by a Riva.

Quote Originally Posted by imp0ster View Post
    I know other models benefit but I can't find any info on wether or not there are speed gains to be had. I'm using my stock grate ever since I snapped the Riva.

Also will I need to do the pump shoe upgrade since I'll be around 77mph? Can I just tap for longer stronger bolts?
    If I remember right......shibby is who you want to talk with. NewYorker...long island I think...anyway...he was faster with an oem grate instead of the riva.

Now...the same results prolly happened with me but I wanted better hook up in the chop...and had added other small mods all the while with no gps at the time.

My understnding is the better grates are bigger drags...but the more ponies you're pushin the easier it is to over come that extra drag and take advantage of the greater hook up.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by VaRedneck View Post

If I remember right......shibby is who you want to talk with. NewYorker...long island I think...anyway...he was faster with an oem grate instead of the riva.

Now...the same results prolly happened with me but I wanted better hook up in the chop...and had added other small mods all the while with no gps at the time.

My understnding is the better grates are bigger drags...but the more ponies you're pushin the easier it is to over come that extra drag and take advantage of the greater hook up.
    Makes perfect sense since aftermarket grates have the wing and OEM does not. The only way I can see modding an OEM grate would be to knife edge the bars and mabye switch the bolts to button head for less drag. Guess I can try both.

+1
    Please keep us posted as I'm interested in your results, thanks.

Makes perfect sense since aftermarket grates have the wing and OEM does not. The only way I can see modding an OEM grate would be to knife edge the bars and mabye switch the bolts to button head for less drag. Guess I can try both.
    No hard proof here....but something comes to mind when you mentioned "knife edges" in regards to water flow. Seems I remember something contradictory to that.....seems a "rounded" profile actually performs better. Now...this was in relation to hulls...specifically the bow's edge on big boats...very big boats....maybe even ships. But scale wise I would think the same principles apply.

When you fill your plate bolt holes...fill your grate's too and be sure to flush it to the plate. That will help with hull drag too. I also used permatex to seal and flush all the joints between grate/shoe/plate/hull.

here's mine...

Thread Information