+1

Please tell me how to safely buy a PWC?

Sorry if this has been covered before, I did search but couldn't see anything 100% what I'm looking for.

I live in the UK but my parents spend quite a lot of time in Orlando. I'm looking to buy two pwc to use whilst I visit them.

Ive found two 2008 Seadoo RXT on a double trailer, on eBay being sold by a
    private guy who says he is a police officer.

I can't physically go to see them myself, but have asked Eric Cheek of Gearhead Motorsport (recommended on the Honda side of this forum) who I have met before to look athem for me.

What I would like to know is what ado I need and how do I check they aren't stolen?.

Ive asked for copies of
    titles
    title and tag for trailer
    origional selling invoices
    service invoices
    Photos of the hull IDs from the rear of both skis.

Im assuming if all of the names and numbers match its ok, I was also planning on calling the supplying/servicing dealership. Also was going to call the local DMV and check the numbers.
    I asked the guy for a copy of his drivers licence but he said that because he is an undercover police officer, he can't send it.. He did say that he would show it to my guy Eric who is inspecting it for me when he is there.

Any help is greatly appreciated, they are $14000 and it's a whole lot of money if they are stolen etc. They are in Port Charlotte area.

Thank you
    Dale

+1
    Calling a dmv and having them run the vins will tell you if they are stolen.
    14k for a pair of rxt skis is a little bit high.
    I just paid 15,000 for a pair of 2010 rxtx 260 skis.
    1 had 39 hrs the other had 58 hrs.
    Both have full warranties thru 2014.
    Also the 1 st half of 08 models came with ceramic washers in the s/c.
    If they are x models then they are not ceramic.
    Good luck in your purchase!!

+1
    I wish I could find 2 RXT 260 for $15k!

Been checking eBay and pwc trader but so far they are the best I've found. Both are only 30 hours.

Ill check with the DMV thank you.

Anyone else have any other ideas?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by dalef10ods View Post
    I wish I could find 2 RXT 260 for $15k!

Been checking eBay and pwc trader but so far they are the best I've found. Both are only 30 hours.

Ill check with the DMV thank you.

Anyone else have any other ideas?
    I know Eric and if you have him working on this then you will know that they are legit and are in mechanical good condition. He knows his trade and will give you his professional advice. As to the price that is up to you if it's a good deal.

+1
    If you are looking to buy with confidence use a dealer. I live in Orlando and would happily help you out when your here. Ski's here are different to UK and harder to sell on as stolen. There are rules here on the use as well unlike UK. You must wear a safety vest, under certain ages need a boating license and you can not ride after dark or in certain lakes. Also you must carry a whistle and fire extinguisher. Both can be in a compartment you cant get to lol but you must have them.

Good advice here...a dealer is a good call if for one reason only that the title will be clear and you can register them in your name...trying to clear up a title with any state government is going to be a huge PIA and the riding season may well be over before you get it straight...

Quote Originally Posted by Dart View Post
    If you are looking to buy with confidence use a dealer. I live in Orlando and would happily help you out when your here. Ski's here are different to UK and harder to sell on as stolen. There are rules here on the use as well unlike UK. You must wear a safety vest, under certain ages need a boating license and you can not ride after dark or in certain lakes. Also you must carry a whistle and fire extinguisher. Both can be in a compartment you cant get to lol but you must have them.

Thread Information