Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

2012 RXP-X 260 Regular Capsize issue - Causes?

Good Morning folks.

I have a 2012 RXP-X 260 which keeps capsizing on a regular basis (1 per trip out on average)

The history to hopefully get some info from forum members.

3 months old - 15 hours since new.

New prop and liner at 7 hours following a rock caught in Seaweed going up through the prop (Lost power, limped back to marina, took Ski to the wash down area, removed all seaweed and connected up hose to flush it out, rock came flying out the back, prop written off)

The local dealer has checked the carbon seal and found it to be fine.

Other issues:

Steering is well out every time i use the IBR brake function it tries to do a 90 degree right turn on me which almost high sides me off the ski!

Capsize issue:

When going slow it appears that the ski is sitting very low in the water (Like the hull has flooded) but when the bungs are removed very little water comes out.

Water comes over the rear section and sides filling the footwells causing it to sink further and over it goes, some times a full capsize other times it just spits me off.

It seems to be worse when slowing down towards a standstill as if it is turning without my input again causing the footwells to fill and again over she goes?

Not great when you have the wife or kids onboard with the amount of shark sightings and attacks we have in WA at the moment

I suspect it is all related to the steering issue but happy to hear of other suggestions as to what you think is causing it?

Could it be the off throttle steering or something similar?

At a loss tbh, it is going in for a service to sort the steering etc just wanted some input from the forum.

All sea states minimal tiny little waves nothing significant.

Anybody had similar issues?

Regards

ScottyB

+1
    No problems here. I have ridden 2 up at well over the weight rating as well....I havent had anyone come into the shop with this issue either....

+1
    Ridden 2 up with mine with no problems! Check the carbon seal isn't leaking and filling your hull with water, are you checking the hull immediately when this happens? Or are you riding back to the dock at speed? As if you are the siphon bilge would suck all the water out! Make sure the hoses are high up in the hull!

+1
    Guys is this new hull design a 2 piece bottom hull like the Yamaha GPR skis? Wonder if there is water getting in between the 2 hulls?

+1
    The weight rating is 400 lbs. I rode 2 up and we were at 500lbs and the ski was very twitchy. Sounds like you have too much weight on the ski byt your description. In the ocean and stopped when I'm on it by myself and moving around on the ski it gets twitchy too. Lots of water in the left well it seems more than the right.
    This ski is really made for driving hard and fast.

Never capsized mine, been thrown off several times. I have jumped off several times because I thought the ski was rolling over when I was stopped and moving around on a ski that was dead in the water. But jumping off it what I did to stop it from what I thought was rolling over.
    I too never have water in my ski.

+1
    Have found it as stable as early model RXP's.

+1
    Never capsized but have noticed that the PX does not like heavy passenger.
    Other than that, pretty stable craft even when standing still in heavy cross chop or wave.

+1
    No problems with mine.

Did you have these problems before you had the prop changed?????

Quote Originally Posted by Aussiepauly View Post
    Ridden 2 up with mine with no problems! Check the carbon seal isn't leaking and filling your hull with water, are you checking the hull immediately when this happens? Or are you riding back to the dock at speed? As if you are the siphon bilge would suck all the water out! Make sure the hoses are high up in the hull!
    Hi Aussiepauly,

Not checking it immediately doing it when i get back to the dock after traveling at speed.

Will check out on the water next time when at idle, thanks for the heads up.

Regards

ScottyB

Quote Originally Posted by troyheb View Post
    No problems with mine.

Did you have these problems before you had the prop changed?????
    Hey Troyheb,

Thanks for the reply.

I didn't have the problem for the new prop etc which has me wondering what has changed?

I might get a second opinion on the carbon seal.

Regards

ScottyB

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information