New project help needed!!!

Hi all. First time visitor, great website. I have had a 97hx for quite a while and have been looking for a bigger ski so that I can take my kids for a spin. I cam across a bargain the other day and snapped it up. It's a 98gsx limited with a seized motor. I know what your all thinking , but I only paid a couple of hundred bucks for it so worst come to worst, I won't loose any money!!
    the bloke who had it said that he left it to sit for too long and that's why it seized. Unfortunately he paid a motor mechanic to strip it down and the bloke has done a number on it( ball pin hammer). I thought it would be a straight forward rebuild but this thing has some damage to a few parts and also has a heap of aftermarket stuff. I've noticed a R&D syncro wave water injector, umi steering, r&d inlet manifold. I know this model is supposed to have a white 951 , but the motor is painted silver. I scratch back some paint on the block and it's silver back to bear metal( could have been blasted). The mag cover was definitely white at one stage. Could anyone give me some advice on what I have here, whether it's salvageable or am I wasting my time? Thanks heaps. Matt

+1
    You have a white motor setup except for the head pipe, which is from a 98+ 951 ski.

Banned User
    +1
    I would tear it all down, clean everything up and see what you have. I bet 2 new cylinder sleeves are in order for sure and a new/rebuilt crank. You would be surprised once you start cleaning things up and seeing what you have, what you will be able to do with it.

Quote Originally Posted by jim View Post
    You have a white motor setup except for the head pipe, which is from a 98+ 951 ski.
    Thanks for the reply. Why would I have that pipe. It seems this ski was built to race, is there a benefit in having this pipe. I thought the white one was the better one. Is it because of the water injection syncro wave ??

+1
    The white pipe sacrifies a significant amount of bottom end for a small increase in mid to upper power-- 100 rpm. The black pipes are also more forgiving w/ carberation and water temp. changes.

have fun puttin the 2 exhaust pieces together its pain in the ASS

+1
    PM sent.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by BryanP View Post
    I would tear it all down, clean everything up and see what you have. I bet 2 new cylinder sleeves are in order for sure and a new/rebuilt crank. You would be surprised once you start cleaning things up and seeing what you have, what you will be able to do with it.
    Build that beast!!!! Download a manual, order some parts, take your time and WORK CLEAN!!!

Thread Information