Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    +1

GM in talks with Chysler??

Feb. 15 (Bloomberg) -- General Motors Corp., the world's largest automaker, is in discussions with DaimlerChrysler AG's Chrysler unit on an alliance to share the costs of designing and developing cars, people with knowledge of the talks said.
    The discussions, which began about a month ago, may allow the two automakers to share chassis designs and reduce development costs, said the people, who asked not to be identified because the talks are private.
    DaimlerChrysler, of Stuttgart, Germany, said yesterday it is considering ``all options'' for the money-losing U.S. subsidiary.
    ``GM has a lot Chrysler could gain from because they have the more modern technology,'' John Wolkonowicz, an analyst at Global Insight in Lexington, Massachusetts, said in an interview. ``I see GM as the stronger partner in any discussions.''
    GM may not be DaimlerChrysler's only potential collaborator for Chrysler. The American auto company, purchased by the Germans in 1998, has struggled to fulfill the initial vision of former Chief Executive Officer Juergen Schrempp. Schrempp bought the Auburn Hills, Michigan-based company for $36 billion to transform Daimler into a global auto player.
    Since then, the third-largest U.S. car maker has bounced from losses to profits and back again as the high cost of U.S. manufacturing reduced its ability to compete with Asian producers such as Toyota Motor Corp.

that toyota is make is grounf i saw there nascar , wish they had rules like the old days like you had 2 make a production car similar 2 it 2 run it is nascar ,

the trucks are ok , i just dont want any damn camerys where chargers , tuares and monte carlos rollllllll

not all german ideas work so well here in the states , not everybody wants a autobahn tuned 35k car

This would be the downfall of GM...
    Chrysler products have always been way behind, the government helped them out numerous times. It is a crap product. Yes sales have increased with the inception of the German engineering, but cost and affordability is still the hurdle...
    I say bring back Lee Iaccoca...PR...

+1
    If the domestics don't get rid of the unions they will all be out of business in the next 10 years. They simply cannot compete when such a large part of a vehicle cost goes to wages and benefits.

My guess is one of the three will have to go bankrupt to bring the unions in line.

rant

Unions BUILT this country!!!

Let`s not confuse corruption and politics with the Unions!
    Health and welfare is an enormous issue, not only for union members but also for the non union members.
    Alot of my wage goes to health and welfare so we ALL could get benefits. I am impacted greatly bc I have to work 1500 hours a year to get level; 2 which is prescription drugs...

look at all the people/employee`s that don`t have health insurance, alot is due to being listed as temporary employment where the employer can get away with paying squat!!!

I see many non union work ethics, and their work quality blows!!!
    I`ll pay a trained tradesman anyday of the week compared to the blowzo`s that get payed less and show it in their attitudes and work ethics...
    Yes I agree that the auto industry is out of control, but you can thank big brother for that.
    We can not use/lay blame to the forgien countries that pay their employess very very little to work 60-80 hours a week.
    If you want to really bitch, then let`s have a look at walmart where their headquarters is in China!!!
    Our polititians have made this clusterfu-k what it is today not the unions ...
    The unions are to protect union members and myself from getting beat. Rules are in place for a reason.

Just remember the building/office buildings/wharehouses your butt is planted in was prolly built union.
    The Northeast corridor def has some of the best tradesman in the country. I`ve worked with west coast people here and they blow (in general)
    the right to work states has fuc-ed everybody. the benefits are always with the employer, he`s the one getting rich, not you!.

there isn`t anyone in the country that can keep up with the northeast tradespeople in quality or speed...
    Yes you have your dead wood, but that`s no matter where you go or work...
    UNION: YES,
    That`s how I pay my bills...PR...

+1
    PR,
    What you say may be true.
    It doesn't change the fact that the automakers cannot afford the unions.
    If they stay union and things don't change, they will be gone. Plain and simple

Quote Originally Posted by BOATADDICT View Post
    PR,
    What you say may be true.
    It doesn't change the fact that the automakers cannot afford the unions.
    If they stay union and things don't change, they will be gone. Plain and simple
    I agree that something should be done, the price of auto`s here in the states and canada are way out of hand.
    Car loan`s used to be 150-200 per month, now the norm is 300-500 pr month. when does it become excessive!
    Keep in mind that robotics are used by most foriegn auto makers.
    I also remember when parts used to be metal, now they are plastic, I don`t feel any safer...
    I have to say, as a union worker I want to vomit at the sight of my deductions out of my gross pay. Yet there is no equivalent if I worked non union. So it`s work, get in your hours so you can have prescription drugs for you and your family.
    It is just a matter of time before most auto`s are cookie cutters.
    If gasoline wasn`t main stream for the government and the oil cronies, the combustion engine would have faded out long ago...PR...

I am with you PR. If you would build a more dependable auto then you would sell more of them. The domistics are not as reliable as the imports. Hell GM has a problem with lower intake manifolds on the 3.1 and the 3.4. The OE gasket material is plastic. It starts seaping coolant around 30k miles, and needs replaced at 80k. Now flepro makes a almn. gasket that will out last the car, WTF. GM has been using the plastic for over 10 years and the still currently use them, WTF. Now if it was an import with the same issues the OE man. would have changed the design a long time ago. Ford have a ball joint issues, using cheep parts with no greese fittings. Chysler has oil starvation issues with some of there V6's. And yet they do not change there design. Which imports do not give you these kind of problems, without something being done about the issues.

Just my 2 cents worth.

R

Union, Yes

cheatin' piston popper addicted's Avatar
    +1
    I realy, realy wanted to stay out of this, but i can't.

WARNING_ this is my opinion and will probably piss off alot of people.

All unions have to go, IMHO. They were created when they were NEEDED, now all the things that they fought for have become law, and now they are simply driving up the cost of living for everyone. They are also the main reason for the new "global" economy. It is simply to expensive to make products in the US because of unions.

I will say this however, the professionalism and quality of work is good, not necessarily better or worse than non union workers when it comes to things like construction related trades. The best things unions do these days is provide good training for those that choose to be a tradesman.

I could go on, but this could get ugly.

I see where you are comming from but...

The unions keep the experinced trades people in the industry. Without the unions you would have companys, getting rid of the skilled higher paid workers for the cheeper non-skilled workers, with less quaility of the job. Keep in mind the work of the workers is only as good as the engineers. The auto industery is a bad example of this. Of course we could debat this all day and night. But I would have to go with the Unions on this one. I have seen first hand where a company with a union closed parts of there buisness only to lease the work and facitly out to a non union co. Production remained the same while the quaility went down hill and the work accidents and employee safty went down hill. Buy the time you figure out what the injurys costed the company there was no savings in $$$. Just the Doctors, lawers, got richer, and the quailty went down hill, the employees did not get paid as well as their experinced counterparts.

R

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information