Looking for advise on 96 Wave Venture 1100.

Hey guys I am new on here. I am looking at buying a 96 wave venture 1100 that I am really interested in buying as the price is too good to pass up. I have never done anything with these bigger skis but from what I understand its not too different from what I have. But the ski isn't together entirely. The owner had the motor rebuilt last season, and didnt have the motor aligned properly and ran it once. He started taking it apart to re-align the motor on the motor mounts etc then got in a bad accident that he cant even ride anymore so he is selling. With the motor not being aligned properly, what all can go wrong when it was running? My hopes at the very least is the rebuilt motor is still in good condition...any tips on what I should look for? Going to check it out on Saturday. He said he mis-aligned the motor mounts, essentially wondering what could happen to the ski/motor for running it like that.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	imagejpeg_3.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	67.7 KB 
ID:	289910

I may be wrong and I'm sure someone will correct me if I am but I don't believe the misalignment will hurt the motor. There is a rubber bushing between the motor and output shaft that will get eaten up and go bad if not properly aligned though and you will experience more vibration through the seat/ski than normal if it is not in proper alignment. If it is eating up the coupler bushing you should see rubber shavings/powder near the rear section of the motor. There are plenty of online videos (youtube) that show how to properly align the yamaha motors.

Good luck.

Teddy

Thanks for the response!! I actually got a picture of the coupler from the seller.
    I attached the picture. But it doesn't look like it did much damage at all this might be a good deal. Although, it is very dirty.

Name:	imagejpeg_6.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	96.2 KB 
ID:	289917

Quote Originally Posted by kupcak3 View Post
    Thanks for the response!! I actually got a picture of the coupler from the seller.
    I attached the picture. But it doesn't look like it did much damage at all this might be a good deal. Although, it is very dirty.

Name:	imagejpeg_6.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	96.2 KB 
ID:	289917
    Looks like their may be some shaving/debris from the coupler there. You can loosen up the motor mount bolts a little and the engine should slide forward enough to check the rubber bushing out for wear. Then you can use a straight edge, check clearances and get it back into proper alignment if everything checks out.

+1
    Don't buy it without cranking it over and doing a compression test. It's my opinion from those pics that somebody's trying to pull the wool over your eyes. I don't believe the motor has been been redone. In fact I'm betting it's a whole story because it is actually blown and he found out how much someone wanted to fix it, OR by the looks of debris and oil in there possibly a blown out lower case.

Quote Originally Posted by Myself View Post
    Don't buy it without cranking it over and doing a compression test. It's my opinion from those pics that somebody's trying to pull the wool over your eyes. I don't believe the motor has been been redone. In fact I'm betting it's a whole story because it is actually blown and he found out how much someone wanted to fix it, OR by the looks of debris and oil in there possibly a blown out lower case.

this ^^^^^^^

Thread Information