how long did it sit less than a year
    any new/modified parts on it nope
    recent tune-ups or rebuild the carbs were rebuilt by the previous owner
    price $700
    comes with trailer? yes
    did the ski run on saltwater or normal lake water: both
    compression numbers? took it to a mechanic who said they were good
    does it run? kind of? not really
    mechanical knowledge: I've worked on motorcycles a good bit, getting help from a family friend who has rebuilt and repaired everything with an engine you can imagine.

Hopefully those questions I found for newbies are still desired. Anywho, I am hoping that somebody has a link for a place to get a copy of the Polaris Watercraft Service Manual for '92-'98. I've found two sites offering to sell me a PDF for ~$5, but they both look sketchy, the links are below if anybody can vouch for one of them. I also found a hard copy of the manual on ebay for ~$100 but that seems ridiculous for a 15 year old book that exists in soft copy somewhere.

http://www.tradebit.com/filedetail.p...-1992-1998-pwc
    http://www.selffixer.com/personal.wa...l-download.htm

I bought this jet ski off an aircraft mechanic in FL while I was visiting family thinking that instead of renting one for 8 hrs I could own one for the same price. Then we couldn't get it working while in the water, so the joke is on me. It starts without issue, but won't run for any length of time. In the water it'll run for a period between 1 second and 30 seconds, but it seems to be random. When it runs for 30 seconds I've gotten on the throttle a good bit and it has a lot of power behind it, but eventually it will choke itself out and strand me in the water. I took it to a mechanic in Florida who looked it over and declared that it was in great shape, good compression, clean plugs, nice carbs after the rebuild, but told me I was using the wrong gas. We drained the tank and put ethanol free gas in it and still it is having the same symptoms. I have tried fiddling with the carb adjustment screws, but nothing I did seemed to make any difference in the performance of the ski. I am trying to figure out what the factory settings for the carbs are, and if possible get an entire manual for the future.

Any help would be much appreciated, I'll be here all night to answer any questions that will help you help me. Thanks!

Brick Township, New Jersey, United States

Looking for a Service Manual or troubleshooting advice

http://polarispwcknowledge.shorturl.com/

If it runs for 30 seconds in the water than I wouldn't think the impeller housing is warped and locked up. Sounds like a carb issue but lots of people on here are much more knowledgable than me . I got my ski running just from those links I posted. The only flaw in your plan is that with these skis you have to really redo the WHOLe fuel system before you use them because there is lots of areas for failure and it can get expensive. All gas lines fuel pump carbs etc if not you can burn down a piston in short order. Good luck. And let us know what you find!

Banned User
    +1
    2 things to look for on that particular motor. Make sure the carbs were done with genuine Keihin parts. Most aftermarket carb kits are not any good. Make sure the carbs are clean. If that ski has the grey Tempo fuel lines, replace them immediately. They are known to cause issues with plugging up things in the fuel system.

The second thing with that model is the ignition system. The original systems were known to fail. Polaris issued an ignition update kit, which replaces the whole ignition system. They sell for around $350 new. Just because you have spark and can make it run a little doesn't mean the ignition is good.

I would check out the whole fuel system first though, and make sure that is 100% clean. If you post a few pics of the engine compartment, and possibly open up the electric box and let us see what part number is on the CDI, we can tell you what version of the ignition system you have.

I'll see what I can do about getting some pictures for you. I do not know what carb kit the guy used, but he left the magazine he ordered it from in the ski. Thanks for the suggestions, more to follow.

I also found a Clymer manual that claims to cover this model, are those good resources or a waste of money? I don't mind dropping $35 if it'll help me get on the water.

Quote Originally Posted by holdmybeerwatchthis View Post
    I also found a Clymer manual that claims to cover this model, are those good resources or a waste of money? I don't mind dropping $35 if it'll help me get on the water.
    Waste of money. Take a good look at the link in post #2 of this thread. Have a good look around there, it contains all the information you need and more.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by jackofalltrades View Post
    Take a good look at the link in post #2 of this thread. Have a good look around there, it contains all the information you need and more.

Banned User
    +1
    I just tried the link and it wasn't working for me.

Quote Originally Posted by BryanP View Post
    I just tried the link and it wasn't working for me.
    The site loads for me, but the search functions doesn't appear to work. Googling the site didn't immediately show me what I wanted either so I gave up. Apparently it is all a moot point, my father took the ski to a mechanic while I was at work, so my project is gonna get completed by somebody who knows what they are doing. I'll just have to wait until something else gets gummed up to work on it.

Thank you all for your help. I'll be back for the next issue.

+1
    I'd recommend sticking around and slowly reading up on the routine maintenance stuff and the common problems so that you might be able to spot a small bump in the road before you have to come back with another issue.

Perfect example: Make sure you read up on checking "Piston Wash" so that after the repairs are complete you can monitor the fuel/air ratio and avoid burning through another $75 piston. Burn down can happen in a matter of minutes, so this is important to monitor closely right after a repair.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information