Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Need Advice

+1

Need Advice

Hey guys, I need some advice. First, my ski is a 2009 FX SHO, bone stock it ran 68 mph on GPS. Well so far I've done the Ribbon Delete, FF Exhaust, Riva Power Filter Intake System and R&D Anticavitation Cone. I have a R&D Intake Grate but haven't put it on yet and I plan on getting Jim to modify my stock Ride Plate. But here's my issue, when I tested the above combination I actually lost speed, I dropped to 66 MPH and the ski seemed like it was hitting the rev limiter at the hit of the throttle. Somebody told me it was prob. hitting the boost limiter, not the rev limiter. I'm not experienced enough riding skis to know what is what, but in comparsion it feels like I'm at the drag strip in my race car, and when the light turns green it just spins coming out of the hole then finally catches traction, that's what it feels like on the ski. Is my ski making more power now and it's overpowering the prop at the hit of the throttle ? How can this explain my 2 mph loss in speed ? I've been told I need to repitch my prop to a 13/21. Then I've been told I need a R2 or R3 reflash to remove my boost limiter and raise RPM....I'm so confused...lol Can somebody chime in and help please, trying to sort this before riding season.

+1
    With the stock wheel you do not need the reflash. Also only needed if you want to raise the limits. I would only do it if going to a higher boost wheel. I think that I was running a 13/22 prop with your setup. When sending your ride plate to Jim send your prop and he can set it up for you as well. I am getting him to bend a friends for me with your same setup.

+1
    Can you remember what your MPH was my setup and with the 13/22 prop ? Will this eliminate that "spinning" out of the hole effect when I hit my throttle ?

+1
    Almost everyone hits the rev limiter once they pull out the ribbon. You are going to need a repitch. You will need a prop gauge, or send your prop into Jim and he can repitch it for you. He did mine for me after the ribbon put me on the limiter. Between the repitch and the grate you should minimize your bouncing.

Reflashes are for the next level of mods. What the ski "needs" is relative to your budget and factory warranty.

5. +1 by:

+1

Re: Need Advice

The cavitation on the hole shot will be helped by the leading edge on your prop being increased. There are some other things you can do to also reduce this like getting the filler pieces for the R&D grate. Also do a search on cavitation, there have been many discussions on it here. And I believe I was at about 70-71 mph with these mods.
    Last edited by superair; 01-11-2013 at 10:07 AM.

+1
    Thanks for the replies guys. I really want to keep my ski as stock as possible, I just wanna do "bolt on" mods to increase speed and such, I don't wanna get into changing out my SC wheel or anything or reflashing...etc... With that being said, my last installs before I call it quits will be the Intake grate, Modded Ride Plate and a repitch on my prop. What pitch do you guys recommend knowing what my mods are and will be...13/22 ?

YAMAHA POWAAAA !!!!! 1_Fast_SHO's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Fasttimez View Post
    Thanks for the replies guys. I really want to keep my ski as stock as possible, I just wanna do "bolt on" mods to increase speed and such, I don't wanna get into changing out my SC wheel or anything or reflashing...etc... With that being said, my last installs before I call it quits will be the Intake grate, Modded Ride Plate and a repitch on my prop. What pitch do you guys recommend knowing what my mods are and will be...13/22 ?
    your loosing speed because your hitting the limiter, time to pitch the prop, or do w.e mod you wanna do before pitching the stock prop. you will get your 2 miles back plus a lil more, changes on stage 1 and those lil mods is basically no speed but acdeleration. keep it stock ----- stock is better : )

+1

Re: Need Advice

I think either a 13/22 or 13/23 would be good. Remember that your rpm will decrease with the hotter weather. So if you go too high now you will not be making enough power during the summer to turn that larger prop and lose some speed. I would contact Jim and let him help you with this decision.

+1
    I have the same mods on my FZR and I run a skat 13/20 with awesome acceleration and tops off at 7700rpms on top. Im sure the SHO is a little different due to the different hull, but the reason you lost speed is because you are banging on the rev limiter (I doubt you are on the boost limiter) so it seems like you need a repitch of your stock prop or an aftermarket prop. There are plenty of people on here who will repitch your prop for you.

AWA MEMBER
    +1
    I ran a repitched stock prop 13/22 and i was good in summer months but fall and winter months id brush the limiter slightly....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information