Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: 05 R12x Audio?

+1

05 R12x Audio?

Hi everyone!
    I have been lurking this site for some time and have received lots of good info here in the past...

Last summer i made the jump from the old 2 strokes to something more modern by picking up an 05 r12x. This thing is an absolute blast to ride and is crazy reliable compared to the vintage skis i was used to!

Now that its wintertime, i am planning some upgrades... im just going with basic stuff (impeller etc.) for now, but my main goal for this winter is getting some tunes out on the lake

last summer we went on a trip to LOTO and had about a 30 min. ride out of the no wake zone and since then i have wanted a radio

I consider myself to be pretty handy in the fabrication department, I have built a few off road rigs and the such and can make the custom stuff work pretty well... that being said, i cant exactly use my welder on this project

my question is where in your opinion would be the best place for a couple speakers? on the f12 i have seen the mirrors with speakers, but the r presents more of a challenge...
    my initial thought was to use the front fairings and mold in the speaker enclosures. But for that project i would want a spare set just in case, and they aren't exactly easy to come by..

does anyone have other suggestions? thanks in advance!

AWA MEMBER
    +1
    cut them in behind fearing into fiberglass........small ones, because its hard to hear it going WO when you sell ski block the holes off with aluminum or leave the radio in

+1
    so you think the sound will be okay from behind that plastic? Im curious to learn what the profile of the hull is like behind those fairings, guess ill start searching

+1
    Why not an Ipod or smiler and then blue tooth to waterproof headphones just an idea I don’t think you will hear it past 20MPH

+1
    Hey great to learn that you visited our wonderful LOTO ! I will listen up for a some toons & keep an eye out for a Honda 12fx ... GL with your tunes install .... post pics !

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by xdrian View Post
    Why not an Ipod or smiler and then blue tooth to waterproof headphones just an idea I don’t think you will hear it past 20MPH
    I honestly thought about that, but I have the fastest ski in our group right now HAHA. (we buoy race standups) Most of the time were chillin' next to the pontoon or cruising the coves... I guess its kinda the same reason the 4 wheeler guys put speaker boxes on their racks... I just would like to make noise for everyone to hear... The chick on the back cant hear the tunes if you use headphones

Quote Originally Posted by OzarkYamMonster View Post
    Hey great to learn that you visited our wonderful LOTO ! I will listen up for a some toons & keep an eye out for a Honda 12fx ... GL with your tunes install .... post pics !
    Its beautiful... i wish i lived there! the guy's house we stayed at is on the lake on the Niangua arm outside of Roach, but he works at Deer Valley Marine in Sunrise Beach next to Frankie and Louie's bar

I plan to turn this into the build thread after I get started.

On mine, I used the kit from Soggydog audio. It is basically a piece of black delrin cut to fit so that it replaces the mirrors. The speakers included are not that great though. I ended up keeping the tweeters and crossover, but added my own polk 4 inch. I had to trim the plate a bit to fit the 4 inch, since the soggydog speakers are some random size slightly smaller than 4 inch. I'm using an ancient jensen amplifier that is mounted to the bottom side of the grab rail seat base. I have an inline volume control for a motorcycle system by throttle. I use an old ipod thrown in the storage area just behind the bars. The ipod is connected to the amp directly through the ipod headphone jack, through the volume control, and then into two of the amp rca inputs. I wired it all so that the amp is only powered when the dash is active. Mine is loud enough to hear pretty well when running wide open, but you lose most of the bass at speed. Just cruising it sounds awesome. This next summer, I'll upgrade to a more modern amp which should help a lot in sound quality. I used the old jensen amp just to test through a season. I was concerned about it being mounted in the heat of the engine bay, but I never had an issue. I don't think soggydog is in business any longer, but you could easily make the plates to fit in the mirrors with a router and hand traced template. The trick is that they mount using silicone to basically glue them in, so you have to router a ridge that will fit in the mirror housing so that it is a tight fit.

8. +1 by:

+1
    Yeah, if I had mirrors, that's what I'd like to do... I've seen lots of setups like that on youtube. That's what im looking for is an alternative

+1
    Get a set of mirror pods for something like a Yamaha or something that don't have them molded into the front . Then do as he suggested . Unless ur willing to cut into the front of the foot wells or the front covers this is ur best option . Tho ...u could cut a single 4"-5" speaker into the glove box lid and it would still function just make sure u have wires ran so they allow u to open it still. Theirs a company that makes a marine audio system that I think only draws 3-5a and is a walet sized , a set of recessed buttons and 2 4" water proof speakers . Really simple to install its about $400 tho

+1
    yeah, i have been brainstorming a little bit... i think the best option is to have them facing the rider

it sucks i was unable to buy your ski! is it still for sale?

i just bought a bunch of stuff for this blue turd LOL

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information