Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    +1

P1658 and other issues with 11' RXT-X aS

I recently have started to have some issues with my RXTX. The issues started a few weeks back, possibly after I installed the Riva through hull exhaust. I say possibly because I don't remember if the issue occur right before or right after the exhaust. The first thing that was odd, was when riding along at near WOT the ski would cut all power and I would have to release the throttle and come back to idle before I was about to go again.

After reaching idle I was able to go again as normal until I would almost hit top speed, then it would cut power. I took it home and checked over everything (oil, coolant, as many hoses as I could reach) and everything seemed fine, except oil was a hair low. Nothing serious, but I still topped it off.

I didn't get to ride it for a while due to weather and recently took it out this weekend. As soon as it got up to speed it cut power and threw a check engine light. I brought it back to the dock and shut it off. I started it again but this time it sounded odd. The exhaust note was a lot different. I checked the bilge and there was some water in there, but didn't seem to be anything significant. Now it has a very odd exhaust note, not like it used it. Its hard to explain the exact note but it seems to be just running rough. Also idle is up to ~1,800rpms.

There was one fault code, P1658. I researched it and found it was related to the DESS. I saw that there was some sort of recall on the DESS posts on this year/model. Even with the DESS code I don't see how it could be related to how the ski is running. I was going to do a compression test on the motor but was unable to figure out how to get it into "drown mode" to be able to crank the motor over. I thought it was hold the throttle and try and start it.

So thats where I am on this issue. Im most likely going to take it to a Seadoo dealer in the area but wanted to see if anyone had any ideas I could check over first.

Thanks!

+1
    Check leak down.

Check all water hoses connected and check for kinks in exhaust cooling hoses.

Air pressure or air temp sensors or exhaust temp sensors can do the wot shut off... I'd almost think you may have a problem with exhaust temp which would be intermitant.. Connect to buds or candoo and check code history. If exhaust temp exists in history then you may want to check water routing and for obtrusions in water cooling lines etc.

If you can't find solution you may want to get a vtech on water logger and check what triggers your limp

+1
    Is this with a bone stock unmodified ECU?

I have seen this several times with a my V-Tech re-flash at 8820-8840 rpm and currently trouble shooting this with V-Tech. It does NOT throw fault codes, but acts exactly the same: engine cuts back to limp mode, engine light, at idle rpm engine goes out and resets, then all is normal. The change in exhaust note is the engine going into limp mode until it resets.

I also get the 1658 DESS post fault and unfortunately is common with these skis. I have the BUDS update which supposedly corrects the post issue but I still get the same fault at random times.

I would be curious what your mechanic finds regarding this. But it will hard for them to diagnose without tripping a fault code! Get them to lake test it for them selves to see the problem first hand.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by jpt7779 View Post
    I would be curious what your mechanic finds regarding this. But it will hard for them to diagnose without tripping a fault code! Get them to lake test it for them selves to see the problem first hand.[/COLOR][/B]
    Yeap. Its a completely stock RXT-X but has a Riva through hull exhaust. I am assuming it is stuck in limp mode at this point because every time I start it the exhaust still sounds off. Guess I need to find a a good service dept that can look into it for me. Im stuck at a loss. I understand cars inside and out but the ski is becoming a real pain in the a##. Especially being an aS model, having the pull the deck is not fun. Take the deck off is a walk in the park, going back on is another story.

+1
    Check all the obvious stuff first like: change spark plugs, boost leaks SC to IC, IC to TB, IC leaking, hose clamps, sensor plugs attached firmly, etc etc

6. +1 by:

Rex

+1
    Well I went over all the hoses and clamps when I installed the exhaust since the deck was off. I have rechecked as much as possible but I dont want to have to take the deck off again unless its a last resort. I can replace the plugs to see if that changes anything.

+1

P1658 and other issues with 11' RXT-X aS

Quote Originally Posted by Rex View Post
    Well I went over all the hoses and clamps when I installed the exhaust since the deck was off. I have rechecked as much as possible but I dont want to have to take the deck off again unless its a last resort. I can replace the plugs to see if that changes anything.
    You might be on RPM rev limits for ECU to hold back .
    What is your currently max rpm?

+1
    Are you sure that is the ONLY code you are throwing? I'm wondering if you have a leaky IC and might be getting into TPS/manifold AND effecting your idle RPM.
    I may be out of the ballpark on this one but the 2011 ICs are known to leak. I had a bad intake temp sensor that was fine at idle but when boost went up it went wacky.
    Might want to have the dealer check the code history if you don't want to lift the deck again.

10. +1 by:

Rex

+1
    Thanks stuckmoto. I will double check that but I went over all those hoses when I had the deck off. That is definitely the only code it shows. I ran over to the garage today and noticed it did not want to start this morning. Wondering if the battery has gone dead and is causing it to act all wonky.

+1
    I dont know what the intake looks like on the seadoo.. but the kawasaki ultras would do the exact same thing and it was the intake airhorn sucking onto side of ski causing it lose all air into intake. just throwin it out there

13. +1 by:

Rex

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information