Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Battery maintenance

Hi all
    As some as you know, I picked up my new ski over xmas time and has been sat in my garage looking lovely!
    first thing i did (after waxing it) was connect up the auto battery charger i bought from the sea doo dealer to maintain the battery. I used the connector that was hard wired to the terminals (not the croc clips) and left the battery all connect how it normally is.
    All working ok but someone said to me the battery should be disconnected and removed, not left connect in the ski... this defeats the object of the hard-wire connection option that came with the battery charger correct...
    would what i am doing damage the ski or the battery? I think someone is telling me incorrect info here..
    sorry to ask such a boring question
    Thanks everyone

+1
    just for a piece of mind, I always disconnect one of the cables so that I am not sending voltage thru the whole system over a long period(winter) time...

I'm with the cool kids Mowerpan's Avatar
    +1

Re: Battery maintenance

I use the clips and keep battedy connected to ski like normal. Have always done it this way and never had problems.

Autism Speaks. Its Time To Listen gOt BoOsT's Avatar
    +1
    i always disconnect both cables from the battery and hook up the trickle charger...it only takes 1 minute

+1
    Hello ... I was instructed long ago to remove and set up to trickle chg .... never ever had an issue with battery !

+1
    I have a ctek charger but have hard wired it with the eyelets, gets a top up once a month I wouldn't keep it on for months though as some people have said that the battery's can possibly boil dry over time. Depends what battle u have
    Also it means I can't stuff up and hook up the leads back to front and cook the ecu.

+1
    I've done both, pulled the battery and left it hooked up with battery tender for around 2-3 months over the winter, with the same results. I make sure the water (distilled) is topped off. I got 5 years out of my last 2 Yuasa batteries with this technique.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by jpt7779 View Post
    I've done both, pulled the battery and left it hooked up with battery tender for around 2-3 months over the winter, with the same results. I make sure the water (distilled) is topped off. I got 5 years out of my last 2 Yuasa batteries with this technique.
    +1

Battery tenders or trickle chargers are never a good idea. Some work OK, most don't. A much better strategy is to simply disconnect the battery for storage, and hit it mid-winter with a regular charger for a few hours.

The reason for this is because the optimum float voltage for a lead-acid battery is dependent on a number of factors, temperature being one of them. There are no chargers out there for powersports applications that can monitor the proper variables and present the optimum float for a given battery. (I used to work for the largest supplier of battery chargers for lift truck batteries, and these chargers could do this...) Consequently, battery tenders and trickle chargers go under the category of snake oil and motor butter, pretty much a waste of money, but lots of people swear by them. ("Hey, I got 5 years out of my battery by using a tender!" Well, you might have gotten 6-7 years out of the battery by disconnecting it at the beginning of the season, hitting it every couple months with a standard charger for a few hours, and connecting it back up at beginning of season.....)

Actually, the best way to go is to get rid of your standard battery and buy an AGM. Simply disconnect it at end of season, connect it back up at the beginning of spring and go. AGM batteries have almost no parasitic drain, so they will keep their charge much longer than standard batteries.
    Last edited by Sea Dood; 01-17-2013 at 01:47 PM.

+1

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Dood View Post
    Battery tenders or trickle chargers are never a good idea. Some work OK, most don't. A much better strategy is to simply disconnect the battery for storage, and hit it mid-winter with a regular charger for a few hours.

The reason for this is because the optimum float voltage for a lead-acid battery is dependent on a number of factors, temperature being one of them. There are no chargers out there for powersports applications that can monitor the proper variables and present the optimum float for a given battery. (I used to work for the largest supplier of battery chargers for lift truck batteries, and these chargers could do this...) Consequently, battery tenders and trickle chargers go under the category of snake oil and motor butter, pretty much a waste of money, but lots of people swear by them. ("Hey, I got 5 years out of my battery by using a tender!" Well, you might have gotten 6-7 years out of the battery by disconnecting it at the beginning of the season, hitting it every couple months with a standard charger for a few hours, and connecting it back up at beginning of season.....)

Actually, the best way to go is to get rid of your standard battery and buy an AGM. Simply disconnect it at end of season, connect it back up at the beginning of spring and go. AGM batteries have almost no parasitic drain, so they will keep their charge much longer than standard batteries.
    +1

I do agree, the AGM batteries do hold there charge longer. My battery is currently disconnected since mid October and I just plugged a battery tender to see if it needed a charge last week. And to my surprise, it was good to go in about 10 minutes.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information