Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Hot start problem with 2010 Ultra LX

I currently have a 2010 Ultra LX (30 hours) in excellent condition which I bought second hand just on a year ago. I use the ski mainly for offshore fishing & spearfishing.

Although it's a great ski it has let me down quite a few times over the last few months by not starting. The non starting usually happens when we have finished a drift over the reef and want to head back to the start point. The ski does in most cases eventually start after a lot of persistance, but it can be nerve racking when you are 70 k'ms offshore. Forgot to mention...when it does start it runs quite rough and a few seconds later rev's are up and all good.

After reading some of the threads I am certain my problem is the "hot start problem" (or should I say non start problem!!)

Iv'e got some really good info off this site regarding "hot start problems with the Ultra LX and some great insite into how to potentially solve the non starting problem.

A few options so far -
    • Remove "water temp sensor" and dip in water to cool and then replace and hopefully start
    • Remove the seat allowing the motor to cool which aids in starting ...etc...
    I will be trying these solutions this coming weekend....

However in talking with a local kawasaki dealer just today, he advised that my non starting is probably due to water vapour getting into the piston chamber and wetting the spark plugs!!

He said this comes about when I am drift fishing over a reef area the water continually slops into the exhaust outlet and forces water vapour past the inlet/exhaust valves into the piston chamber???

Is there any truth in the dealers comments or should I be looking towards solving the "hot start" problem.

Appreciate your feedback......

Self Confessed Day Dreamer toomanytoys's Avatar
    +1
    Aren't dealers fitting the exhaust filters on older ski to he resolve these problems.

For what it's worth, when my Exhaust Filter has blow out (twice now) this is how I can tell it's gone. When it's in, the ski starts instantly, I mean instantly without any blubbering at all.

Quote Originally Posted by toomanytoys View Post
    Aren't dealers fitting the exhaust filters on older ski to he resolve these problems.

For what it's worth, when my Exhaust Filter has blow out (twice now) this is how I can tell it's gone. When it's in, the ski starts instantly, I mean instantly without any blubbering at all.
    Hi.....havn't seen anythig relating to exhaust air filters and starting problems ...so I can't answer your question........

Should I have an exhaust filter??
    Is the exhaust filter standard on a Ultra LX 2010 model??

Thanks.....

+1
    No, it was installed in 2011 models and on I believe. It can be fitted to older skis though. See here: http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=182357

Cheers, Mal.

Quote Originally Posted by toomanytoys View Post
    No, it was installed in 2011 models and on I believe. It can be fitted to older skis though. See here: http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=182357

Cheers, Mal.
    Hi Mal,

Really appreciate the feedback......but
    • What does the filter do?
    • The attached link shows filter is for 250X/260X...does Ultra LX has same exhaust system/size?
    Excuse the ignorance only had the ski for a year now.....

Thanks....Tony

I have this on the ultra 250x with the ski starting and running very rough for a few seconds, I believe the issue to be wet plugs as stated above.
    The exhaust filter will resolve, however I have found if I blip the throttle just be for shut down the ski seems to start with ease later on, my theory on this is a quick blast will clear the water box a little more and less likley to get water back up the exhaust.

+1
    Lets back up here. If you have the Ultra LX, the non supercharged model, no the filter will not fit.
    How old is your battery? I had this issue with my LX. THe battery was showing full charge and would accept a charge but load it the amps were not high enough when the voltage was. The other thing is I am sure you are just idling across the reef before drifting back across. You are completely filling the waterbox making it hard to force the exhaust gasses into the water plugged piping. Before you shut it off give it a few hits on the throttle. That would also be resolved with a prople battery.

Banned User
    +1

Hot start problem with 2010 Ultra LX

Also replace your plugs with new ones old plugs can cause this issue as well. But at GL stated blip the throttle then shut off.

Pain is fear leaving your body.... rlovebk's Avatar
    +1
    When fishing start the ski every 30 minutes or so helps also. Make sure and give it a couple of good blips on the throttle before stopping.
    It is water/vapor that causes this. My plugs show some of this effect when changed/checked. (rust) I change mine at 80 hours. Manual says 100. Make sure and use some anti-sieze on your plugs and torque them correctly always.
    For some reason introducing fresh air into the eng. compartment helps this. That is why I was told by a friend about the seat off trick. It has never not worked.

+1
    Sorry guys, I wrongly thought the exhaust on the NA was the same. I agree with bliping the throttle before shutting it down. I notice if I idle for a long time and shut the ski down, even with the filter I get a difference. There is a no wake zone before we stop at a shop. Just before I reach the shore I put it in reverse and give it a couple of blips.

Sorry about the misinformation again.

Cheers, Mal.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information