Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

aS versus iS suspension...which to buy?

When I mistakenly thought that an aS suspension was an iS suspension with the addition of an adjustable FOX shock, I was convinced I wanted an aS. Now that I realize that is not the case, I am debating if I what a GTX 260 iS Limited or a RXT-X aS 260.

I need advise. Are the iS features such as on-the-fly adjustability of spring pre-load, auto mode, docking mode, etc more or less desirable than the aS feature of adjustable shock and -X features such as adjustable trim tabs, bow stabilzers, adjustable rear sponsons etc? To put the question differently, are the features of the iS important enough to take presidence over the features of the aS and x-package?

I will be riding in the Saint Lawrence river in the 1000 Islands area. We don't get huge waves like in an ocean but rather a fair amount of wind chop and wave action from recreational boats and LARGE ocean going cargo ships. (The river connects the Saint Lawrence Seaway to the Great Lakes.) My riding style is not hot dogging around doing acrobatics but rather a 60 year old who enjoys high performance both for the acceleration, speed, and high speed handling coupled with a reasonably comfortable ride.

+1
    I bought the AS for my wife and I'm super glad I went that direction. Here is why. 1. I didn't want the extra electronics and hardware to go bad. 2. The electronics is not always doing the right stuff in variable situations. Example if your in very light chop and hit a boats wake. The Electronics would have very liitle preload and compression damping set because it was set for the light chop not the big hit of the wake. 3. The AS has a better shock. 4. The AS is GREAT but ONLY if the PERSON who owns it sets it right. I have taken a sharpie and recorded the right spring and compression settings under the seat and in the glove box. I carry the tool in the dry box to adjust the pre-load before I let someone else ride it. The ski preload matches the rider weight. I spent a better part of the day teaching my non technical wife how to adjust the shock compression right.

OK results! MY wife who is in her 40's LOVES this ski. She went from a GTR-215 to this. I personally feel its is the safetest feeling ski I have ever ridden. It takes all the sharpness off the hits on waves etc. Once the ski is set you really dont have to keep adjusting it. IT works! I have an RXP-X 2012 and if we rode only in the ocean I would get one too. It doesnt turn like my ski but thats is no surprise.
    I could pass my buddy on his Yamaha in washing board chop while sitting, looking sideways for like 30 secs waiting for him to look over, I was waving with one hand and holding on with one hand! He was standing and holding on for dear life. If I was on my P-X I could have been doing 55 also! I would not be sitting down and I wouldn't be holding on with one hand!

Thank you for your reply. It sounds like the aS has served you well. FOX shocks (in the aS) are known to be a quality piece. I have had many sets in snowmobiles. Your comment about not having to continuously adjust the pre-load is good news for my leaning towards the aS. Using preload to essentially adjust for rider wieght is very consistent with sleds. Makes sense. Do you use the shock adjustment much to compensate for riding conditions? Is it practical to adjust while riding?

Thank you again for your reply!

Quote Originally Posted by Brd-Prey View Post
    I bought the AS for my wife and I'm super glad I went that direction. Here is why. 1. I didn't want the extra electronics and hardware to go bad. 2. The electronics is not always doing the right stuff in variable situations. Example if your in very light chop and hit a boats wake. The Electronics would have very liitle preload and compression damping set because it was set for the light chop not the big hit of the wake. 3. The AS has a better shock. 4. The AS is GREAT but ONLY if the PERSON who owns it sets it right. I have taken a sharpie and recorded the right spring and compression settings under the seat and in the glove box. I carry the tool in the dry box to adjust the pre-load before I let someone else ride it. The ski preload matches the rider weight. I spent a better part of the day teaching my non technical wife how to adjust the shock compression right.

OK results! MY wife who is in her 40's LOVES this ski. She went from a GTR-215 to this. I personally feel its is the safetest feeling ski I have ever ridden. It takes all the sharpness off the hits on waves etc. Once the ski is set you really dont have to keep adjusting it. IT works! I have an RXP-X 2012 and if we rode only in the ocean I would get one too. It doesnt turn like my ski but thats is no surprise.
    I could pass my buddy on his Yamaha in washing board chop while sitting, looking sideways for like 30 secs waiting for him to look over, I was waving with one hand and holding on with one hand! He was standing and holding on for dear life. If I was on my P-X I could have been doing 55 also! I would not be sitting down and I wouldn't be holding on with one hand!

+1
    Get an aS.

Less pain, for little gain going iS.

+1
    Makes sense. Do you use the shock adjustment much to compensate for riding conditions? Is it practical to adjust while riding?

The preload is very consistent once you have your weight dialed no adjustment necessary! The Compression adjuster is in the glovebox! Easy to get to. At first and inaccording to the instructions we thought i would need frequent adjustment based on the riding conditions. But it doesn't she rides with pretty much leaves it around 7 in real smooth water like if we are staying in a lake she me turn it down. The leaving it at 7 it would work as you would feel baby chop but who cares when you hit that larger boat wake etc it will just suck it up! Bottom line is it works better than I expected with less rider input!

+1
    Put it this way... I have an iS with a modifed 7 inch travel shock system...

It never changes from all the way up, unless docking.

+1
    If it never changes from all the way up unless docking its not working right!
    The suspension should sag under static rider weight about 30% if the shock preload is correct?
    Quote Originally Posted by GasResearch-VT.SE View Post

I'd be interested in what you have for a shock system.

It sounds like you have put some time/money in your iS, but still suggest the aS. That speaks pretty highly of the aS.

+1
    It's all done and dusted with the aS. There's a few things I'd change for wave jumping but that's about it.

The main suspension mods can be purchased in the online store. There you can see pictures etc

I can't find anything in the store dealing with suspensions.

It's all done and dusted with the aS. There's a few things I'd change for wave jumping but that's about it.

The main suspension mods can be purchased in the online store. There you can see pictures etc

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information