can a 1997 Sl 780 wave jump?

Can a rebuilt sl 780 with new oem engine mounts handle wave jumping?

my family had this jetski for 15 years now its been sitting in the garage for 14, i completely rebuilt everything from mounts, seals , gaskets , carb rebuilt and pipes. also removed oil injection to premix and installed a block off kit.

will it handle wave jumping?

i live in an island in the eu we have very nice summers and huge boats everywhere making it ideal for wave jumping .

Thank you the ski still has 20 legit hours ^^
    Last edited by K447; 01-17-2013 at 07:22 PM.

+1
    I don't see why not, those hulls seem pretty stout.

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    You should be fine. I wave jump all the time and really only have replaced 1 engine mount. Probably just due to age/use.

Make it easy on yourself and land the ski tail first. DON"T try to land it flat. That makes for a hard landing on the hull , handle bars, and your wrists.

Banned User
    +1
    Yes. Tail first is a pretty soft landing

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Go through the hull inside and look at everything and anything that can flop around, get loose, or rub on anything else.

You want every hose and wire to be firmly held in place at multiple points along is length, yet still allow for engine flex and vibration.

Check things like the fuel tank filler neck for hairline cracks. Make sure the fuel cap gasket or seal is still good.

See my signature links for some common items that typically need attention. You may or may not have addressed all of them in your rebuild.

If that hull has the older bathtub style drain plugs, upgrade the drain plugs to the retained cap type.

Look at the fuel tank supports and mounts. Fuel is heavy and you need the tank to remain in place while riding and not become cracked.

Sometimes you will land it flat and hard. Do everything you can to ensure it can handle the abuse

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by xlint89 View Post
    You should be fine. I wave jump all the time and really only have replaced 1 engine mount. Probably just due to age/use.

Make it easy on yourself and land the ski tail first. DON"T try to land it flat. That makes for a hard landing on the hull , handle bars, and your wrists.
    I messed up on some Barge waves and have not stuffed it yet. I did land flat one time and it definitely compressed some vertabrae. Ouch, I wish I could take that one "Back".

+1
    I would worry more about yourself than the ski
    I was with a friend that jumped a large cabin cruiser wave on a 110hp XP. He got some real big air and bailed off. He ended coming down on the ski and broke his right hip in two places. We were at Brookville lake in Indiana. They ended up air lifting him out of there. That was the first and last time I ever rode with that dude. He is an engineer @ OPW Fueling components, the young guy with the limp.

Rasta Mon Condoms We Be Jammin!!!!! TxVirageTx's Avatar
    +1
    use to get so much air on the pro i could cross a leg over the seat.these gals were recordering me on their cell phones for about 15 minutes till i popped the pto coupler and had to limp back to the ramp with the seat pulled back.

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by LaveyT View Post
    I would worry more about yourself than the ski
    Actually you do kinda have to watch some spots. On my 94 SL 650, I started to develop some hairline cracks right at the fuel shut off valve. (about middle of the hull) Pretty sure it was from hard landings while wave jumping.

And you have this thread.

http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/show...ht=broken+hull

My fist ski was an SL780 use to wave jump it in the ocean all the time. Its a good hull for it. Recommend a bilge pump if you don't already have one as you will stuff it under the waves a few times.

Thread Information