Voters
41. You may not vote on this poll
  • Tabs

28 68.29%
  • No Tabs

13 31.71%
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Who is running with no trim tabs?

I am thinking about trying out this no trim tab thing. I was told with the FF plate from Jim and no tabs would yield even more speed. I assume this is true, makes since in my head, the handling would just be a little worse.

So who is doing it? Tips? Whats your setup?

+1
    I have been running my own plate with the equivalent of the FF mod for several years now. Last summer I did back to back testing with a J plate and it showed the FF mod is worth 1 mph gain. Jim is doing the mod for $60 - that is great deal and I highly recommend it to anyone. I will be sending my J plate to Jim for this mod.

I tried no trim tabs last year - what I found is if you just take the trim tabs off and don't change anything else you don't gain much. I think to make a no trim tab set-up work you need to go back and dial in the rideplate angle all over again. On every ski there is a sweet spot for the rideplate angle and if you remove the trim tabs the optimum rideplate angle will change so you have to go find it again. In my testing with no trim tabs I didn't try changing my rideplate angle so I never did determine how much faster a no trim tab set-up could be. (my water is never truly flat which means I really need the trim tabs to keep the ski settled down)

No tabs ,no bolt holes for tabs, they are gone for good.My ski was faster in smooth water without the tabs .I am not sure exactly how much faster without them around 1-2 mph,it has been over a year sense I had tabs on my ski and I don't think the Fountain teams skis even came with tabs.
    Last edited by Hypertoys; 02-15-2007 at 11:42 PM.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Hypertoys View Post
    No tabs ,no bolt holes for tabs, they are gone for good.My ski was faster in smooth water without the tabs .I am not sure exactly how much faster without them around 1-2 mph,it has been over a year sense I had tabs on my ski and I don't think the Fountain teams skis even came with tabs.
    but how does it do in rough water? around here Im lucky to get glass water a few times a year!

+1
    (my water is never truly flat which means I really need the trim tabs to keep the ski settled down)

actually I use R&D tabs (which are thicker than teh stock tabs) and I also shimm them down with 2 washers under all 8 bolts
    Last edited by philip_gpr; 02-16-2007 at 12:25 AM.

If I ran mostly rough water over 4 " chop,I would run the tabs.
    I try to run in slick water to not over 2-3 inch chop.I have not installed the 2" pump extension yet,but I have heard that it would help my hookup in rough water.

The Fountain Boys and Ben Herman run without trim tabs.

What do you guys use to screw in the bolt holes when you take off the tabs?

I put a small piece of foam in holes and then a small amount of pro poxy,then sand smooth .
    You might first try just take them off and run without filling holes to see the difference between tabs and no tabs. The first time I tried it ,I went back to shore and put tabs back on .It takes alot of testing and changing angles to get setup rite.I have not run tabs for over a year now ,and I still have alot to learn about this setup.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by philip_gpr View Post
    (my water is never truly flat which means I really need the trim tabs to keep the ski settled down)

actually I use R&D tabs (which are thicker than teh stock tabs) and I also shimm them down with 2 washers under all 8 bolts

Philip is this the setup you run all the time (even for your 77+ mph runs?) are the r&d with washers slower / fater than stock tabs? if slower how much?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information