+1

Set back vs. longblade props

Could someone explain to me the differences between a setback prop and a longblade? I've been reading around and cant seem to find the answer

+1
    The setback prop has the base of the prop machined to get the prop closer to the pump veins and a long blade has a larger over lap of blade to blade.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by SpeedJunky View Post
    The setback prop has the base of the prop machined to get the prop closer to the pump veins and a long blade has a larger over lap of blade to blade.
    Right, but what would be the pros/ cons of each? And in what application would they be beneficial?

Whats that whistling noise? jtskier11's Avatar
    +1
    Setback props,if too close, can eat up the stator. There arent alot of people that run a long blade. There was some confusion in regards to them anyway. Seems like people order what they "think" is a long blade and it end sup being a plain Swirl. I wanted to get a long blade but ended up finding the twin for too good of a price to pass on.

+1
    I think we were reading the same thread, saw the same thing with people being confused on what prop they had. I'm trying to figure out if my skat is the right choice for the R3 and C1 this spring... I can deff pitch it no problem, but I wanted to see if a setback/ long blade might be a better choice.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeFZR View Post
    I think we were reading the same thread, saw the same thing with people being confused on what prop they had. I'm trying to figure out if my skat is the right choice for the R3 and C1 this spring... I can deff pitch it no problem, but I wanted to see if a setback/ long blade might be a better choice.
    Itll be fine. I had a plain old Skat in my ski with an R3 and C1 and on full-pin from a dig and I got 1-2 hits of the limiter. Nothing horrible at all. When I went to the C3 it was a different story. It would fry my Skat out of the hole. I couldnt stand it so thats why I went with the twin. It may not be the most badass, ideal setup. But the cavitations gone and it holeshots pretty good in my opinion and stays hooked up alot better. My 2 cents, try your Skat first. Worst case scenario it may need a degree two on the trailing edge depending on what your RPM goal is. Plus if you want it to bite harder you can add a bit to the leading edge.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by jtskier11 View Post
    Itll be fine. I had a plain old Skat in my ski with an R3 and C1 and on full-pin from a dig and I got 1-2 hits of the limiter. Nothing horrible at all. When I went to the C3 it was a different story. It would fry my Skat out of the hole. I couldnt stand it so thats why I went with the twin. It may not be the most badass, ideal setup. But the cavitations gone and it holeshots pretty good in my opinion and stays hooked up alot better. My 2 cents, try your Skat first. Worst case scenario it may need a degree two on the trailing edge depending on what your RPM goal is. Plus if you want it to bite harder you can add a bit to the leading edge.
    Good info! thanks. I guess I'll wait and see how my ski performs before ordering any more parts. I figured a longblade might be better at holeshot than my regular skat swirl. Im also going to go with a 85mm nozzle, so that will deff help on holeshot as well.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by jtskier11 View Post
    Good info! thanks. I guess I'll wait and see how my ski performs before ordering any more parts. I figured a longblade might be better at holeshot than my regular skat swirl. Im also going to go with a 85mm nozzle, so that will deff help on holeshot as well.
    I ran mine R3/C1 with an 85mm GPR nozzle. Im low on RPM now with the C3 and will be throwing the 85mm nozzle back on. Havent run it with the twin yet.

Thread Information