+1

REcalibrating WB O2

Ok, I need to be able to shift the o2 sensor cable back and forth between MTX and VTECH datalogger. I know the MTX will do a free air cal if it is powered up without a sensor the next time it is plugged in. I don't know what the VTECH does as far as free air cal. Here is the thing, it is a pain in the neck to unscrew the sensor. On a car if you wait for a long time the exhaust will eventually be free air. With the convoluted exhaust of the ski, not sure how long it will take.

So, here is my idea. I have a compressor hook up hose for blowing down the exhaust so it won't freeze. I'm in FL so I winterize 3 or 4 times a winter because I ride my ski all winter. So it blows 55 psi air through the flush comnnection. Do you guys think 5 min of compressor air would make it up to the O2? So my free air cal is accurate?

Ed

+1
    Hmmm... Good question...

Where do you blow air down?

If you can rotate your crank so 1 of your cylinders has its exhaust valves open, you could blow air down the spark plug hole ORRRRRRRRRRRRRR

You could just run your ski in NON FIRE MODE, by holding the throttle WOT and cranking it...
    Maybe 5 x 10 secs should do it?

Its not a sure fire way, but I can't imagine it being anything but clean o2 and maybe some minor oil contam (I hope your sensor is placed out of direct gas flow)

+1
    Vtech does not do free air calibration - just uses the factory calibration resistor.

You could just setup a switch to disconnect power from the mtx-l when not using it. Thats what im going to do.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by mac_man_luke View Post
    Vtech does not do free air calibration - just uses the factory calibration resistor.

You could just setup a switch to disconnect power from the mtx-l when not using it. Thats what im going to do.
    I could pull the fuse, Hmmmm. Good idea

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by GasResearch-VT.SE View Post
    Hmmm... Good question...

Where do you blow air down?

If you can rotate your crank so 1 of your cylinders has its exhaust valves open, you could blow air down the spark plug hole ORRRRRRRRRRRRRR

You could just run your ski in NON FIRE MODE, by holding the throttle WOT and cranking it...
    Maybe 5 x 10 secs should do it?

Its not a sure fire way, but I can't imagine it being anything but clean o2 and maybe some minor oil contam (I hope your sensor is placed out of direct gas flow)

I use the flushing connection, air should flow/circulate in the exhaust pipe do to air traveling through the cooling water spray holes right!

+1
    IMO most of the air would exit via the pump due to less resistance.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by mac_man_luke View Post
    IMO most of the air would exit via the pump due to less resistance.
    Im sure your right, you would just need to pull a small vacuum on that area. I just had a great idea! I will run the ski and see how long the ski after it is shut off takes to get to say 20 to 1 AFR . Then repeat with the air hose hooked up! That should show me if the air in the exhaust manifold is swapping out sooner!

Thread Information