Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

+1

Just purchased a barn find!! 2001 Virage TX 1200 - Only 10 hours on machine

Hi All

I just picked up a 2001 virage tx 1200 with 10.8 hours on it from the original owner. It is spotless and looks like it has never been started or put in the water. The previous owner didn't have time to ride so it was stored in her garage. I guess they tried to start it last year and didn't get a spark. I saw alot of posts and it appears the battery output is critical for these machines to make spark. I'll also replace plugs, check fuel lines etc. I've had some 92 sl650's in the past and they were a blast. Any quick pointers? Thanks
    Last edited by K447; 05-22-2013 at 08:07 AM. Reason: Title clarification

Banned User
    +1
    Start with fresh fuel. Check the oil lines and tank yo make sure they are all ok. If it has grey fuel lines, replace them, also inspect and clean the carbs.

+1
    Sounds like a good score, post some pics!

Just to be sure, the ski is a TX and not a TXi correct? The i indicates that it is a Ficht fuel injected ski and the troubleshooting procedure would be quite a bit different for a no-spark issue.

Have you done any troubleshooting on the ski yet? I'd start with a compression check since the ski sat for so long. If it wasn't fogged before going into storage there's a chance the motor may need some work. Since compression gauges vary quite a bit in quality and accuracy the most important thing is that the cylinders are close to each other.

A good strong battery is an absolute must-have for these skis. Your battery must be able to put out over 10.6V while cranking and should ready over 12V when not cranking. If you don't have a strong battery you'll end up wasting a lot of time troubleshooting an issue. Your TX has the latest CDI/ignition system that polaris used and it is very reliable. I'm not saying it's not possible that the CDI or stator failed but it's not a very common failure point on the newer ignition systems. They're actually fairly robust, IMO.

If you do have spark, the next thing I would do would be to go through and do some fuel system maintenance. You may also want to siphon the fuel out of the tank and burn it off in a vehicle or fire pit. Given that it sat so long, a carburetor rebuild is probably due as well as replacing all of the fuel lines. The older polaris skis (as well as SeaDoo and others) had issues with the gray tempo lines breaking down and causing a green goo which gums up the carbs. I typically add a small in-line fuel filter as well. The one polaris uses does a decent job but for the $5 to get a decent small filter it's worth it. Plus, if you get a clear one you can see if it gets clogged and verify that it has fuel.

Here's a great link with information on Polaris skis, common problems, etc. Take some time and read through some of the links on it. www.polarispwcknowledge.shorturl.com

BTW, welcome to the Hulk!
    Last edited by K447; 01-18-2013 at 12:41 PM.

+1
    Thanks for the warm welcome. I can't seem to find a topic on how to post pics. I'm nervous to tear apart the carbs as i did that on my pair of 92 sl 650's and it was a nightmare getting them re-tuned. I did that after doing some reading on upgrading to the 3 outlet fuel pump to prevent burn up. Given that this unit is so new and I don't want to screw it up, I'll be giving everything a good once over before the season.

Quote Originally Posted by lakeliving View Post
    Thanks for the warm welcome. I can't seem to find a topic on how to post pics. I'm nervous to tear apart the carbs as i did that on my pair of 92 sl 650's and it was a nightmare getting them re-tuned. I did that after doing some reading on upgrading to the 3 outlet fuel pump to prevent burn up. Given that this unit is so new and I don't want to screw it up, I'll be giving everything a good once over before the season.
    When you are posting, there is a small icon above your text box on the second row to the left of the one that looks like a film strip, just click that and choose either url or upload from your computer then browse and find your file. After you choose your picture file there will be a link below the browse button that says upload.

Cheers.

+1
    Here are a couple pics

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SAM_6567.jpg 
Views:	240 
Size:	114.2 KB 
ID:	290567
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SAM_6686.jpg 
Views:	193 
Size:	98.6 KB 
ID:	290568

It is a tx. I bought a new battery today and bingo! got good spark on all three cylinders. I also added some gas as the tank was empty, approx 3 gallons and could not get it to fire. Is there a second shut off valve hiding somewhere? I dumped a little gas in each carb and it fires right up. I just wanted to make sure it would come to life. Any thoughts on the fuel issue? My 92 SL had a primer bulb but I don't see one on this unit. It seems these grey fuel lines need to go, are there kits sold with pre cut lengths? Thanks all!

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Gray fuel lines plus sitting for years means carburetor rebuild is required. Use OEM (genuine Keihin) carb rebuild kits.

Replace the gray fuel lines too. No kit, just purchase enough hose length (good quali fuel line) and cut to fit. I recommend Oetiker style Gapless Ear clamps, but others use more typical gear clamps.

Key is to not over tighten the clamps, yet not have any air or fuel leaks. The fuel hoses from tank to carb are under suction so leaks will allow air bubbles into the fuel. Gear type hose clamps can loosen with time and vibration, which is why the Ear clamps are better.

Clean carbs and new fuel lines should result in an engine that starts normally. Presuming, of course, you check over and correct anything else that needs attention.
    Last edited by K447; 01-19-2013 at 11:59 AM.

+1
    There should only be one fuel shutoff valve for the ski and I believe on that ski it should be under the front hood. I'd just follow the fuel lines to verify what you have. Is the fuel/water separator filling up?

This should be what you have now:

K447 is right though, even if the ski starts and seems to run ok you're still going to want to rebuild the carbs and fuel pumps. Those Keihin's are pretty easy to disassemble, clean and rebuild though. Just be sure you set the arm height for the needle valve to spec. I've found that the height is usually too low causing the ski to run lean. Be sure you grab either OEM carb parts or genuine keihin parts. I've found kits on ebay that are genuine that include everything you need for the rebuild. You may want to disassemble them before you order parts though to verify what you need. I've had a few that the check valve covers have been rusted and I ended up replacing them while I was in there.

Also, the Keihin fuel pumps have two sides one that is serviceable and one that is "not serviceable". If you get a kit off ebay that has the fuel pump rebuild parts, you'll have the parts you need to rebuild both sides. The 'non-serviceable' side uses the same diaphragm as the serviceable side and it's either the same gasket or you can reuse the one that's there I can't remember off-hand.

Something like this is what I have used in the past:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kawasaki-650...94ebbb&vxp=mtr

+1
    The fuel/water seperator is about half full. Should it be full? I cranked it for a bit and it didn't seem to change. I'll check into the rebuild kits for the carbs. Thanks for the information guys I appreciate it!

Re: Just purchased a barn find!! Only 10 hours on machine

System probably needs to be primed. Take the return line off and blow through with compressed air it will prime the system

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information