+1

Riding from Moline IL to Mobile AL in June any experiences??

Hello, I am rarely on here but wanted to get some people's thoughts on this ride. First off We are leaving mid June 2013 and hope to be there within a week weather permitting. I'm riding a 2012 Yamaha FX Cruiser SHO that I just purchased. I have been riding for years but this ski is new to me. I am riding there with a friend and he will be on his 300X and we have a ride back.
    We are having some containers built to carry extra gas,tools,clothes and so on. We will be staying in hotels but no camping. We will ride the Mississippi from Moline past St. Louis to the Paducah area where we will go up the Ohio river to the Tennessee river and then Tenn-Tomm down to Mobile Bay and end up in the gulf.
    I know it can be done of course but I'm looking for actual experiences from people who have traveled this way down or maybe even done this trip. Any tips, good places to stay,actual experiences for things to avoid would be greatly appreciated.
    Also I will be posting the dates soon that we are leaving and anyone that wants to ride with part of the way would be fun too.
    We are doing this for a life experience but we are also taking donations for Children's Miracle Network which we both currently donate to thru the companies that we both work for, I am at Re/Max as a Realtor and my friend is a pharmacist at WalMart.
    Any solid advice or tips would be much appreciated, I also posted this inMidwest Rides and got some great help there. Thanks in advance.

Rich Bassford
    www.richbassford.com

Formerly Ultra250 TN Aquaholic6801's Avatar
    +1
    Only advice I have is to take in consideration that the 300 likes 91+ octane fuel ......Sounds like an interesting trip.....

+1
    Sounds like a good trip. How many miles? Have you mapped it with something like Garmin Mapsource?

+1
    I have not actually done this route but have excessively researched it as the great loop is a bucket list dream trip for me since I am a licensed captain and love travelling on the water. There is tons of information from the boat community. Research The Great Loop. You will find most of what you will need and quite a few of the boaters that have done it love to talk abut their trip.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Sea-Donkey View Post
    Sounds like a good trip. How many miles? Have you mapped it with something like Garmin Mapsource?
    Would you believe somebody already tried to pre-route it? LOL http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/show...=1#post2099372

+1
    This may offer some assistance.
    http://recreation.tenntom.org/marinas/

7. +1 by:

+1
    Sea-Donkey, I am actually working on that now and 83 Gator and has given me a ton of great information.

+1
    Lasportsmn Thanks a lot thats a great site.

+1
    My new Yamaha FX SHO Cruiser is arriving tomorrow so I am excited about that. I am taking it to local fiberglass shop and they are building me a compartment for two 10 gallon gas cans, tools, clothes etc. I installed a 7 speaker stereo system with 2 amps a Bazooka tube and an Ipod player on my 2004 Sea-Doo RXP which I have had on there for several years and I am going to do something along the same lines with the Yamaha but BETTER. :> Got to have great tunes when your riding over 1000 miles .Pictures to follow soon.
    We have decided we are leaving Sunday June 23rd from Moline, IL where we live and hope to be in Mobile Bay by Sat. I guess we will see what kind of time we make and also the weather.
    Thanks everyone for all the tips and help.

I grew up in Iowa just north of Dubuque on Mississippi River....
    it would be a good trip, but.....
    the biggest problem with the trip is the locks
    I have gone up and down river hundreds of times.
    It doesn't take long to go lock to lock, but when you get there, have to wait long time.
    especially when a barge or barges are going thru, small traffic has lowest priority,
    so at times lock crossing could take hours....
    I know several people that went to the gulf, lock traffic gets worse and busier the farther south you get
    It would be fun, but have to add extra time for longer waits
    Mike

Thread Information