Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    +1

about to buy an 06 rxp

I'm about to buy a 2006 rxp with 70 hrs in a couple weeks. I have been doing some research and i'm a little concerned about the valves. I seen they used the hollow valves in 04/05, and some in early 06's? Is the only way to know is to look at the top of the valve itself and would the VIN number tell you anything like it being built later in the year? I guess its been dealer maintained and winterized. The supercharger still has the original sc washers and would be changing them to the steel asap. Also i own a seadoo rx right now and will the rxp be better for running two up because the rx is a little tippy in the the ocean with two aboard, but would rather not loose the playful feeling of a two seater.

+1
    id buy it if the ski is clean.... pull the supercharger and get it rebuilt.. i have an 05 now and have run the stock valves no issues... up here in canada our seasons so short so we fog the engine more frequent than others in warmer climates... i have 140 hrs on stock valves . im changing my head in the spring to a ported head with a valve upgrade. only reason im doing that is to run another ecu.

+1
    I have both an early and late 06 and have yet to have problems with the valves....I also fog them though during the off season..The valve issue was not as much of a deal as it was 04 and some 05....if this guy kept up with it and winterized it then i would not worry about it..

+1
    the reason these valves are dropping in warmer climates is because the engine isnt fogged when stored so water in the waterbox will send moisture up the j pipe threw the mani and into the head and let moist sit ontop on the valve heads... i worked for a seadoo dealer up here and the issues we always had were chargers going and flywheel bolts... never in 5 years had i seen or heard of valves dropping on canadian skis up here

+1
    nice, well that makes me feel better about buying this one. Rxp's are expencive around here so im going to maine for one. It looks like its in really good shape and was very well cared for. $5000 with an aluminum trition trailer. All i need is a recall cleanance letter for the trailer. there is no 72 hr waiting period and do not have to stop at the american side

+1
    5 k is a good price with trailer if it is clean....

+1
    It also has what he claims to be a factory sterio on it. Was it an option back then?

+1
    One way to tell the early 06 to the later 06 is the placement of the VIN serial number, If it is directly behind the seat and tow hook it is an early 06, if the VIN serial number is along the right/starboard rub rail is is a later 06, negotiate the price down if you can, that way you will have extra money for goodies,

+1
    oh ok thanks thats a good tip, i could use that as leverage if its an earlier model

+1
    how big of a job is it to take the valve cover off to see what valves are in it? i know the number that begins with 72 are the old valves and 75 are the new. I am quite mechanically incline but this will be my first 4-stroke seadoo. Is there any gaskets that will need to be replaced?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information