Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

2001 XLT1200. First time out. What's going on ?

Hello all.
    First time in the water today for my 2001 XLT1200. Had been sitting for two years.
    105 psi on all 3 cylinders. Drained gas. refilled. Has primer not choke.

I understand the carbs will need going through. Took it out on the lake today.
    Eventually it got to the point where is was running a 6000 rpm and doing 25mph. Flat out.
    I'm guessing its a wear ring issue. Once or twice I could hear and feel the pump really wind up but didn't
    result in more speed.

I've been a seadoo rider til now. Please excuse my ignorance. I'm not familiar with these engines.
    Also no warning lights or buzzers while running.

Is there something else I should be looking at before I pull the pump ?

Thanks !

Banned User
    +1
    way low on compression. keep an eye out on the plugs so you dont lean seize the ski. i wouldnt have ran it without rebuilding carbs and putting new fuel lines and filter in place

Quote Originally Posted by thatdude596 View Post
    way low on compression. keep an eye out on the plugs so you dont lean seize the ski. i wouldnt have ran it without rebuilding carbs and putting new fuel lines and filter in place
    I understand that the compression is low but that could be the gauge and it is exactly even across each cylinder.
    I have read that the working range is between 100-120 psi so I dont know if it is "way too low "
    But then I dont know if that is accurate either.

Thing is I get 25mph at 6000 rpm with even, workable ( I think ) compression.
    If I'm doing 6000rpm im doing 6000 rpm .

Trying to figure what I should look at first ( after cleaning the carbs , as I said in the first post )

I also get the comment about going through carbs first but in the real world 98% of the time your gonna
    put it in the water and see first. My friend took an 800 to the lake today also sat two years. Runs perfect.
    Thanks.

Banned User
    +1
    Is something stuck in your pump. The compression should be 130 psi I think stock

+1
    Please stop giving advice when you have no clue what you are talking about. Its obviously either his gauge or the way he is checking it (all plugs out or just one) otherwise it wouldn't be the same across the board for all three cylinders.

+1
    The compression shouldn't be an issue. As long as you're getting similar #'s across the board, you're ok. Once the ski is running good, You can look into doing a top end rebuild. Pulling the pump isn't a hard or time consuming thing, so check it out. You can also look through the intake to see the gap on your wear ring to get a good idea.

Banned User
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Yellow93 View Post
    Please stop giving advice when you have no clue what you are talking about. Its obviously either his gauge or the way he is checking it (all plugs out or just one) otherwise it wouldn't be the same across the board for all three cylinders.
    Compression is low and can be low across the board. Glad yellow93 diagnosed the issue
    Last edited by thatdude596; 01-20-2013 at 04:35 PM.

+1
    Welcome to the Crew Paulxlt1200 and your'e heading in the right direction, check the pump out and go from there keep us in the loop i sure have learn't alot since ive been here lol
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Smokes; 01-20-2013 at 04:52 PM.

+1
    The compression is not low enough to be a big problem and like others said may be the gauge. Might want to look to see if the power valves are opening at full throttle, also trash in the pump can reduce speed a good bit. If it has the stock grate it may have debris in it too, or have the pump sealing strip bad and sucking air. I would feel all the cyl and head areas by the plug to be sure they are all warm to the same degree, if you have a clogged internal fuel filter or bad carb you may only be running on 2 cylinders and one of them would be cooler a good bit.

10. +1 by:

Thanks for all of the advice. I cant take it back on the water until next weekend. I the meanwhile I will
    check for debris in the intake and try to pull the exhaust and carbs. I'm feeling that it's probably the
    wear ring but will run on the hose for a while and see if the temp is same across all the cylinders.
    As far as the comp test goes,it was done with all plugs out but I did not open the throttle. Also it was
    before I ran it on the lake ( or really ran it at all ). Will retest one night this week and get back as to comp readings.
    I used to have a 95 and 96 seadoo xp. Took the 96 to the shop to have the tank drained and carbs rebuilt.
    Cost $450 . Decided to do the same on the 95 myself. Took 3 hours and it ran like a dream. Not much into mechanics
    anymore! Also when the mechanic returned the 96 the wear ring was shot and I had to replace it.
    I'm a machinist with 20 years experience mostly with aerospace applications , so a carb rebuild is not a huge deal.
    Bought the ski for $550 so I hope I'm ahead of the game !

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information