Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1

    96 polaris 780slx pump rebuild

    I acquired this jetski this fall from my boss as it needed work and he didn't want to mess with it. I took the plugs out and cranked it over and felt some vibrations coming from the pump area. After doing some research on the web, I took the pump out to find the bearings completely gone and the impeller all chewed up. Without the pump in it, the motor runs great! Found another pump assembly off of Craigslist locally and am going through that now. Taking it apart, there was some water in the bearings although they turn fine and look ok. I bought an entire bearing kit, so instead of just putting in new seals, I was gonna do it 100 percent and be done with it.

    So my question is, how do I get the old bearings out safely without ruining the aluminum stator housing? I found the post about heating the housing and putting the bearings in the freezer to get it back together, so I should be fine with that. Just don't want to buy more parts,then I have to. Thanks for any help.


  2. #2
    Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    near Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    36,591
    +1
    1,275
    Welcome

    Have a look through my signature links. The jet pump section shows you how to take it apart and put it back together.

    Is the replacement jet pump from the same model as your original? Impellers are matched to engine power, so the replacement impeller must be of the correct blade pitch to properly match engine RPM.

  3. #3
    BlueFishCrisis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Medina, Ohio, United States
    Posts
    4,988
    +1
    140
    Welcome to the Hulk! You can find a plethora of info here: http://polarispwcknowledge.shorturl.com/

    I use a 2 lb sledge and a blunt tipped screwdriver / driver to pound the bearings out from the other side. Set the stator up on a couple of bricks or something else solid and beat away. You can use PB blaster to try and ease the work, but it will simply take blunt force to get em out.....

    Don't forget to look into the fuel system upgrades for your ski as well!!

  4. #4
    Banned User
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Milwaukee WI
    Posts
    16,708
    +1
    1,324
    Yup.....just drive them out with a punch or a screwdriver like bluefish says. they aren't too hard to get out.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueFishCrisis View Post
    Welcome to the Hulk! You can find a plethora of info here: http://polarispwcknowledge.shorturl.com/

    I use a 2 lb sledge and a blunt tipped screwdriver / driver to pound the bearings out from the other side. Set the stator up on a couple of bricks or something else solid and beat away. You can use PB blaster to try and ease the work, but it will simply take blunt force to get em out.....

    Don't forget to look into the fuel system upgrades for your ski as well!!
    i did see the fuel system upgrades. I will get to that before she goes in the water.

    as far as the impellers, the original one is part number 5131371. The one that I got which I think came off of a 750 is part number 5131073. I figured if it came off of a machine that was almost the same size engine it would be close enough. But you guy are the experts, so you tell me. The other one is just at .020 to the wear ring so I was thinking of sending it out to be fixed up, but the originsl one is really chewed up so I thought it was probably too far gone to repair.

    i did just get the bearings out tonite so hopefully I can put it in the oven and get the new ones in before the wife gets home with the girls from figureskating. Thanks for the help.

  6. #6
    Connecticut CrazyA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    CT.
    Posts
    8,134
    +1
    1,050
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck dog View Post
    I found the post about heating the housing and putting the bearings in the freezer to get it back together, so I should be fine with that.
    And that technique works MINTY !!!

  7. +1 by:


  8. #7
    She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Cleveland OH
    Posts
    17,330
    +1
    31
    Welcome to the site Chuck Dog.

    The SL 750 usually came with the impeller ending in 079, which was also used in the 1995 SLX 780. If your "new" impeller is a 073, i think that may have come out of a SLT 750 which would be slightly less aggressive. For best overall performance, you will prob want to find an impeller pitched for the 780.

    NOTE: Don't forget to install the spacer between the pump bearings before you install the second bearing.

  9. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by xlint89 View Post
    Welcome to the site Chuck Dog.

    The SL 750 usually came with the impeller ending in 079, which was also used in the 1995 SLX 780. If your "new" impeller is a 073, i think that may have come out of a SLT 750 which would be slightly less aggressive. For best overall performance, you will prob want to find an impeller pitched for the 780.

    NOTE: Don't forget to install the spacer between the pump bearings before you install the second bearing.
    Well, I called sbt today and they have the correct one for my ski in stock so I ordered one and they are sending it out and the old one will be going back. So once that one is here, I can put it all back together. Then.all I need to do is go through the carbs this spring.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. 96 SL700 Jet Pump rebuild
    By davenoscott in forum Polaris Open Discussion
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-14-2014, 07:35 AM
  2. FS Polaris Jet Pump Rebuild Kits - 1/2 price of SBT
    By ghostinstallations in forum Polaris Classifieds
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 06-21-2014, 11:48 PM
  3. 96 Polaris SLT 780 Bildge Pump Question?
    By mwenholz1 in forum Polaris Open Discussion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-24-2012, 05:55 PM
  4. pump rebuild questions? 96 gtx 800
    By hermie in forum 2-Stroke Performance
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-07-2010, 01:10 PM
  5. 96 polaris sl 700 fuel pump
    By explorer6764 in forum Polaris Open Discussion
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 03-10-2010, 10:03 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •