Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    +1

Smile I purchased my first Domestic Polaris

If I can get out of the shop early today I will pick it up today

Its a 2001 Virage 701cc carb. This thing is a one owner with about 70-100 hours total. It has 12 hours since a new MFD was installed about 3-4 years ago.
    Its in a heated garage and has never been winterized (he had it dealer serviced every spring). My question is does the water drain out like the Fuji's? No special winterizing procedures? Just like the Fuji's?

Its a 2001, do I have the Gen III ignition (the good one?)

145 psi on both jugs starts instantly
    I would normaly never buy any boat that I had not water tested. But.... It looks like new, is a one owner and garage kept at a great price.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Virage 2.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	28.8 KB 
ID:	290713

Name:	Virage 3.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	26.0 KB 
ID:	290715Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Virage.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	25.9 KB 
ID:	290714

Thanks for your help, I read up a bit on it but would like re-assurance.
    Dave
    Last edited by K447; 01-21-2013 at 10:02 AM.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Cooling system is self-draining on all carburetor engines (except the Pro 785). Tipping the nose up helps ensure complete drainage, but more a preference rather than a must.

Revving the engine briefly after loading on the trailer (post ride) blows most of the water out of the waterbox, which reduces the amount of moisture sitting inside the exhaust system.

The primary storage/winterization activity is spraying fogging oil into the carb air intakes while engine is running, for internal corrosion protection. Same as the Fuji engines in that regard.

All 2000 onwards domestic carb engines came with Gen III ignition systems.

All domestic engines need a strong battery to provide spark.

The original LR Start/Stop module can fail over time. If the original LR module is still in there, consider buying the latest version to have on hand.

If it has the manually operated Reverse level on the left side, those often develop stiffness due to internal binding of the plastic shaft. If it is stiff I recommend you service it before you break the internal plastic cogs with excess force. There is a repair thread for the Binding Reverse lever problem. A smoothly operating Reverse Lever only needs two fingers to move.
    Last edited by K447; 01-21-2013 at 10:05 AM.

3. +1 by:

+1
    Thanks K,
    the lever moves very freely. There is white Lithium grease on just about everything that moves inside. I will have to read up in your links on the Module to see if I can identify it as original or not. As well as where to aquire a spare.
    The guys said the battery was probably bad but if fire up instantly. He put it on a charger (at my request) after checking the compression. It quickly went from six amps (to much) to a 2 amp draw in about 2 minites. After that the compression went from about 140 up to 145psi.
    I cannot wait to get it, I dont get excited very easily but it could pass for new from just a few feet away.

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    Very nice. Alot of people really like those virage hulls.

Banned User
    +1
    They are great. Pretty good in the rough stuff too. Its the same bottom hull as the SLTH/SLTX, just a different top deck. TXPro1200 put dual carbs on his and said it really woke the motor up. The 700s are great little motors, and if it ever blows up, they are cheap to rebuild. And very good on gas.

+1
    Thanks guys,
    I have been looking for a Nice SLT for a few years now. I just havent been able to find a really nice one. I have paid attention to what you guys have said about these hulls.
    I also know if I have trouble you guys are here to help. Thats interesting about the dual carbs, I bet it brings it up to 110hp?
    I knew from reading over the years that the Domestics read pretty high on compression. 145 PSI is high for a stock two Stroke. I had a Monty Racing motor with 155psi but burned it down and ruined the block before I got my boat past 85mph.
    I couldnt pick it up yesterday because of the holiday Im hoping to cut out early today and go pick it up. Its about an hour away.

My SL and SLX have been killing me in the rough water. I think I will put the Virage and the SLX on one trailer and store my SL 780 for a back up or parts ski. I figure a parts ski will pay me more than .07% APR in the bank.
    I will take more Pics after I get it.
    Thanks,
    Dave

+1
    Oh yea, what the heck is the strap in the middle of the handle bars meant for?

Banned User
    +1
    My 99 with dual carbs is still rated 95 HP. Doug said going to the dual carbs really helped acceleration and hole shot.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by LaveyT View Post
    Oh yea, what the heck is the strap in the middle of the handle bars meant for?
    Holding on with your teeth while accelerating

Actually, it as intended for a child who would be sitting in front of the driver. I have used it myself when touring around with a young'un. In some jurisdictions it is illegal as the child would be considered the 'driver'.

Obviously not for rough riding and high speed activities, just easy riding.

It can also hold your GPS for speed trials on smooth water. Just have a lanyard on it too.

+1

Got it Home!!

I pulled it for over an hour @ 65mph. I suppose I need to replace some grey fuel line (were they still using this stuff in 2001?)
    The steering cable and reverse cable both must have moisture in them. They had to thaw out in the garage before they would move after the cold ride.

I really wont know untill spring if this was a good deal or a Great Deal for $2000 cash

Name:	Virage front.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	72.0 KB 
ID:	290872

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information