Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

What's a good GPS???

What a decent one on the market? Do they come with river maps or sectional maps covering different parts of the US?

Im new to the GPS thing so bear with me.

This is the one I use: www.thegpsstore.com/Detail-Garmin-eTrex-Legend.asp

This subject has been discussed many times so if you do a search you will find lots of info. Basically it depends on what you want - The more $ the more features. I've owned two so far, www.thegpsstore.com/detail-magellan-explorist-210.asp (actually I had the 200) & the eTrex & both were good units.

I sold the Magellan for the eTrex because the eTrex had a few more options like "Max Speed" & I also liked the "Trip Meter" layout better.

Bottom line, if you just want speed & distance functions you can get a GPS less than $100 but if you want the navigational features & internal memory then it will cost more.

Good Luck,

Try to find one that's waterproof. I'm using the Magellan Meridian Marine which is waterproof.

I have the Garmin 76 Series Only because there a perfect fit in the seadoo glove box.

Quote Originally Posted by lafjax View Post
    Try to find one that's waterproof. I'm using the Magellan Meridian Marine which is waterproof.

The eTrex & Magellan units I listed are waterproof as are most of the higher model # units in their respective lineups. Go here to read more:
    www.thegpsstore.com.

I'm kind of a big deal SeanCucf's Avatar

Thumbs up

I've got the Garmin Etrex Vista Cx....

-waterproof (doesn't float) I think 3ft for 30 min. requirement.
    -color
    -Micro SD mem slot... (64 meg card included)
    -basemap is VERY BASIC (I already knew that)

software is expensive, but City Navigator, and Bluecharts can be found online.(still a pretty penny). The software is piracy protected...

I like the maps..I use them on the Jeep and Doo. They're not necessary, but it's fun. Has TONS of features and settings..

Walmart.com is the place to buy. I check them all the time when shopping for electronics. They even beat the crap out of ebay sometimes!

good luck
    sean
    Last edited by SeanCucf; 02-16-2007 at 09:36 PM.

I'd go with GARMIN all the WAY!!!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by 96gtxdoo View Post
    I'd go with GARMIN all the WAY!!!
    I'd agree, Garmin is should be the brand you get. I have a GPSMAP 60 CSX, I would have gotten a 76 CSX but cost about $200 more than what I paid for the 60 CSX. The 60 CSX and 76 CSX are identical in features but like someone said the 76 can fit in the glovebox lid if you have.

+1
    Garmin 3 or 3plus. You can find them on ebay for $100. They have TONS of features, killer update times, use AA batteries, have power cords, external antennaes, and are repairable through Garrmin at $100. I've literally repaired my G-3 FOUR times. It's been with me since 1997. The thing I like MOST is that the buttons are on top, and it's easy to figure out the menus. It's neat having the selectable numbers that are huge on the screen, like top speed, and actual speed. I bought a Garmin 5, and didn't like the fact that you have to "trick" the unit into showing the big numbers by giving it a fake waypoint. I do not recommend the G-5. The three series is waterproof, but like all the gps units, that does not mean they will take a 60mph blast of water past the seals and live... not that i've done this or anything.

Another great GPS you will see on this forum is the Foretrex. Small, wristband, rechargeable, and easy to read.

I never did like the Etrex. I still have one in the back of my Jeep for emergency situations...but the update times are slow, and the side buttons and hokey menus are too much for my feeble mind. Many, many, many, many folks have them on here, and are perfectly happy with them!

I had a Rhino. It was "okay" but suffered with the same menus as the Etrex. Basically it was a high-end Etrex with a super-cheapo FRS/GMRS radio.

Try this place for lots of reviews & info:

http://www.gpsinformation.net/

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information