Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Stx F15 water in the barrels

Hi guys please help just been out on my 2004 stx f15 and it got very hot but the warning light did not come on the ski stopped and I tried to restart it. It started and ran for a minute then stoped again, tried to start it but it turned over very slowly then battery warning light came on tried again and again. Finally took it out and removed the plugs and then turned it over and water came out the head, lots of water. It turned over without any problems .What have I done is it a head gasket or what??

My name is Sean and I am addicted to STXs smokeysevin's Avatar
    +1
    Check leakdown and compression, did you try to flush the engine before starting it?

Sean

Hi smokeysevin and thanks for the repley I know compression but what is leakdown ?.I had just changed my driveshaft bearings and had to lift the engine do that do you thnk that would have anything to do with water in the cylinders ?? I run it of my garden hose before I put it in the lake so is that flushing the engine ??.

+1
    Ok, lets start at the beginning. When you run it on the hose you need to start the engine first, then turn the water on. If you don't do it in that order you can fill the engine with water. When you say driveshaft bearings you mean the one at the back of the engine where the shaft goes through the hull correct? A leakdown test pressurizes the cylinder with air and then measures how quickly it leaks out, this is done to check for cracks in the head, bad cylinder head gaskets, cracks in the cylinders, ect.

Sean

Sean thanks I will look at the ski tonight .This is the first four stroke I have had I have allways had two strokes and now that you have told me about the hose on after I start it you have given me some hope that it is not F###ed up .I allways put the water on first !!!!!! I never new the engine could do that.Thanks again I will check it out.

Pain is fear leaving your body.... rlovebk's Avatar
    +1
    Get all the water out you can by turning over w/o plugs in then start it up, turn on hose at mild flow and let it run a while. Turn off hose and then run about another 30 seconds, blipping throttle to blow water out. As much as possible. You need to get it started and run a bit you need to get the inards of the engine DRY and no better way than to run it.

BEFORE you do this check your oil to make sure it does not look like a milkshake = water in oil. If it is ok run it, ASAP. If not it may be as Sean says gasket or crack , although what you have indicated maybe start/hose sequence issue, change the oil first. DO NOT let it sit. Do this asap.

Did it got it cleared of all water then started her up and run her for 10 minutes on the hose turned her of checked the plugs for any water then started her again on the hose and did another ten minutes but the top of the engine was very very hot but the warning buzzer did not go off is this OK?.Could someone please tell how water can get into the cylinders heads by running the water from a hose?.Many thanks guys.

+1

Re: Stx F15 water in the barrels

It backs up the exhaust. To keep the exhaust quiet and cool the water that cools the engine is injected into the exhaust. While the engine is running the water gets blown out and never has a chance to fill up the exhaust. If you run the hose first the exhaust does not blow the water out and it fills the engine.

Sean

If you have water in the Cylinders you need to get it all out ASAP. If you were riding in salt water than the scenario is even more urgent. It may take 3 oil changes to get all the water out.

How to flush your Ski out is spelled out very clearly in your Owners Manual. And frankly, the process isn't any different than the 2 strokes from years past.

If you can't get the oil changed ASAP, I would take it to a dealer or a knowledgeable friend right away who can do it. It will probably all be ok. Unfortunately, water in a 4 stroke Jet Ski engine is much more serious than a 2 Stroke Jet Ski engine . . . and more of a "pain" to deal with also. JB

Thanks for the info .When it is running on the hose it realy smokes alot but it is just water vapour is that OK i mean alot of smoke .P.S. one of the exhaust pipes have been removed would that cause the engine to fill up with the water quicker than two ? What realy gets me is the ski was in the water running up and down the lake for at least 5 minutes before it filled the head with water and stoped restared it then it run a little then stop.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information