Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

96 SLT 780 Engine Removal

I got a 96 SLT 780 basically for free. I have experience rebuilding Seadoo and Kawasaki, but not Polaris. I figured it is pretty much the same, so I took on this project. I can pull a Kawasaki and Seadoo motor in less than an hour. I am about 4 hours into this Polaris and I cannot figure out a way to get this motor out. I removed the water box/muffler, ebox, cooling rail, arrestor/cover. I found a website that said to remove the bolts holding the exhaust pipe on to the manifold and move it forward to get at the manifold bolts, this is impossible. I pushed the exhaust pipe as far forward as it can possibly go and it is impossible to get to the manifold bolts no matter what I do. Maybe I am missing something? I also have plans on removing the gas tank, which I cannot seem to figure out either. I think if I can get the tank out or at least loose I can easily remove the exhaust pipe, manifold, etc. I am thinking I should have stuck to Kawasaki and Seadoo.

I'm addicted to Polaris PWC ghostinstallations's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome to The Hulk!

The manifold does not need to come off. I typically remove the carbs, separate the ebox, remove the water box and bolts that hold the exhaust pipe. At that point you slide the pipe forward and lift the motor out. With experience I can pull the motor in about an hour.

Let us know if you have any other questions.
    Last edited by K447; 01-26-2013 at 08:37 AM.

Banned User
    +1
    Gas tank comes out after the motor is out. It won't fit through the hood.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by BryanP View Post
    It will come out through the front, a little tight, but it will come out.

Banned User
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    It will come out through the front, a little tight, but it will come out.
    Maybe the 14.5 gallon tank they used on the 96's will, but the 15 gal tanks on my 99's don't fit through the hood.

Thanks for the replies. Anyone looking for a 96 slt 780 or parts? I think I am going back to seadoo and kawasaki. It seems like we are talking about 2 different jet skis here. But from where I am sitting it seems borderline impossible to get the carbs off with the motor in the hull. I can't even get close to the bolts under the intake, same with the exhaust manifold. I got 5 of the the 9 bolts off, last 4 not possible with the exhaust pipe right there. It also seems impossible to get to that motor mount on the left front with the exhaust pipe still in the ski. I am not looking to remove the gas tank through the hood, but if I could just slide it forward like 4 inches I would have plenty of room to completely remove the pipe, then remove the manifold, giving easy access to the motor mount bolt as well. Maybe I am missing something I really don't know. With that said. I can't seem to even budge the gas tank and cannot find any straps or bolts holding it in.

Banned User
    +1
    The exhaust manifold does not have to be removed. The carbs are somewhat difficult to remove the first time. I use a 12mm box end wrench. You have to work mostly by feel. Those of us that have worked on a few of these can have those carbs off in 10 or 15 minutes. Where are you located? Maybe someone could help you out.

I figured it out. All by feel no doubt. How were you able to reach the motor mount with the exhaust manifold and exhaust pipe there? Also after the rebuild how do you get the motor back in? There is no way you want to try resealing the carbs by feel right? That just seems like a horrible idea.

+1
    Maybe the 14.5 gallon tank they used on the 96's will, but the 15 gal tanks on my 99's don't fit through the hood.
    Billy has a '96

Quote Originally Posted by Billy View Post
    But from where I am sitting it seems borderline impossible to get the carbs off with the motor in the hull. I can't even get close to the bolts under the intake,.
    Stand on the port side (exhaust side) and with your right arm go behind and under carb rack with a 12mm 1/4" drive socket.

same with the exhaust manifold. I got 5 of the the 9 bolts off, last 4 not possible with the exhaust pipe right there.
    It's been a while since I worked on a '96 SLT780 but if you have the pipe removed from the manifold I believe you can move it forward and backwards enough to get at the manifold bolts...the long manifold bolts won't come completely out of the manifold because they will hit the side of the upper deck, you have to leave them in the manifold (unbolted from the jugs) when you remove the manifold....just remember to put them back in the manifold before lowering the manifold back into place.

It also seems impossible to get to that motor mount on the left front with the exhaust pipe still in the ski.
    Again, it's been a while, but I think you can get at it with a swivel socket. I believe it's either a 17mm or 18mm nut.

I can't seem to even budge the gas tank and cannot find any straps or bolts holding it in.
    There are four 15 mm bolts, two on either side, near the corners. Use a long extension (I believe the tank has a recess where the bolts are. Use a magnet in the socket so you don't drop the bolt. If you don't have a magnet, put a little grease in the socket to help hold the bolt.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    It's been a while since I worked on a '96 SLT780 but if you have the pipe removed from the manifold I believe you can move it forward and backwards enough to get at the manifold bolts...
    I just did my '96 SLT780 and this is exactly what worked for me. I believe I did have to unbolt all of the exhaust mounting brackets at the front of the motor to get enough room though. You just need to keep moving the pipe around to get at each bolt.

Personally, I felt like getting the gas tank out was a much bigger pain, I wouldn't do that unless you absolutely had to. You have to have a good variety of socket extensions to make it happen and even then its still pretty frustrating.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information