Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Just want to build a reliable family ski....what do I need to do ??

I have two 00 xl 1200 limited's both had the rear piston go and now I am starting the rebuild and I need to know what is the best way to build these as good reliable family ski's ???

Not sure what caused the pistons to go but it looks like they were lean.

Please let me know what to update or change/modify etc. Links to threads would be great !!!

Thanks in adavance.

+1
    Yammis are pretty reliable to begin with, but a few things that you should do if you havent already is: 1)Wave eater clips on the powervalves. 2) Aftermarket intake grate, removal of accellerator pump to the carbs (this is known to cause a lean condition) 3) secure oil lines or go premix 4 )Also if you have the older sponsons, change them out to the newer ones. It will help with stability.
    There is a good xlll, xlt thread in the how to section, I believe.

Great thanks I will search the how too section and see what I can find.

Just relax and enjoy the ride. XLT Chad's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by pokplalya22 View Post
    Yammis are pretty reliable to begin with, but a few things that you should do if you havent already is: 1)Wave eater clips on the powervalves. 2) Aftermarket intake grate, removal of accellerator pump to the carbs (this is known to cause a lean condition) 3) secure oil lines or go premix 4 )Also if you have the older sponsons, change them out to the newer ones. It will help with stability.
    There is a good xlll, xlt thread in the how to section, I believe.
    Good advice. You may want to take it one step further and do a rebuild on the carbs. If it hasn't been done in the last few years, they are due. That will also give a little more reliabilaty and possably solve the preveous lean condition.

I started the tear down on the weekend and noticed both cats are toast now as well so I guess I need the D-plates and chips as well now. With the carb rebuild should I go with the Oside bill way or just keep them stock and put rebild kits in them ??

Also I need two new pistons and rings is it best to stick with stock or go after market ?

Thanks for the info guys.

Just relax and enjoy the ride. XLT Chad's Avatar
    +1
    On the carbs, It's up to you. Bill does a great job, but if you need to save a couple of bucks, you can do the OEM kits yourself. It depends on your abilities an how comfortable you are with that type of job. The flip side of the coin is, when you get them back from Bill, they are set up and ready to bolt on. You also have the reassurance that they were done properly.

Quote Originally Posted by chevydog View Post
    I started the tear down on the weekend and noticed both cats are toast now as well so I guess I need the D-plates and chips as well now. With the carb rebuild should I go with the Oside bill way or just keep them stock and put rebild kits in them ??

Also I need two new pistons and rings is it best to stick with stock or go after market ?

Thanks for the info guys.
    On the pistons, I would go back OEM if that is what you have. You would want to keep all 3 pistons made by the same manufacturer imo. Leaking rear seal could have caused the lean condition.

+1
    Need to check the cylinders for scoring

I was asking about sending the carbs to Bill because I see he has a rebuild where you remove the accellerator pump and install T adjusters etc and I thought that would be a good plan to get it all done at the same time as the rebuilding of the carbs.

The cylinders are scored and I plan to get them re nikasiled at Millenium.

For the pistons I will go with OEM I get good prices on those parts.

For the other cylinders I was going to put in new rings while I am at it... anything I should look for on these cylinders ??

Thanks

i rebuilt my carbs,oside bills way after market flame arrester,d-plate and chip rebuilt top end to.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information