Thread: 2006 stx 15f

Talking 2006 stx 15f

Hi guys, I've just bought my first ski a 2006 STX 15F and am loving the ski very much. It is due for a service now (130HRS) just wondering if there is anything I should be looking to replace on the ski or at least checking, hoses, seals, clearances etc. I've always had dirt bikes and maintained them myself, so am planning on servicing the ski myself. I have a level of mechanical skill being a refrigeration mechanic and an electrician, I just want to make sure the ski is properly maintained rather than serviced by an hung over apprentice . If you want it done properly do it yourself.
    Any help will be much appreciated Cheers

My name is Sean and I am addicted to STXs smokeysevin's Avatar
    +1
    First, pick up a manual. This is not meant to insult you but there is a great deal of information that is specifically stated in there, specs and such that you will not get elsewhere.

Secondly, change the oil, oil filter, and plugs. Pull the pump and check the bearings and seals, look at the prop for burns or nicks and check the seals on the steering and reverse cables.

Thirdly, check the valve clearance. On the 12 and 15f they don't move much but its quick and easy to do, (the chart is in the manual and posted here in the tech tips section) Shims can be purchased though hotcams and procycle, they are the same size as the zx12r (or you can pm me with a list and I will sell/exchange you some).

Otherwise just keep an eye on connectors and corrosion, it wouldnt hurt to check the fuel pressure either, that is usually one of the things that goes wrong.

FOLLOW THE MANUAL TQ VALUES FOR THE SPARK PLUGS AND USE ANTISEIZE ON THEM OR YOU WILL RUN INTO PROBLEMS!

Sean

Cheers Smokeysevin, I've got a workshop manual and have already done the engine oil and filter, next to check the pump bearings and seals. thanks for the post.

My name is Sean and I am addicted to STXs smokeysevin's Avatar
    +1

Re: 2006 stx 15f

Happy to help out. Best of luck, be careful when changing the spark plugs, if they feel like they are going to break put the tools down, spray some penetrating lube on them and let them sit.

Sean

Thread Information