Getting Started in Racing

I'm looking for any information on racing events near SE Michigan area. Not looking looking to go pro, just some fun amateur racing events, that me and my kids can participate in. We would be willing to travel some, but nothing too far. We just got into PWC's this past summer and are looking for events the whole family can enjoy. Any tips would be appreciated.

Thanks....Terre

+1
    Check out the Canadian Watercross tour...They have some really awesome people running that series up there...They welcome all people of all levels of expierence!!!!

+1
    Michigan's Harbour Beach festival weekend is a blast! Probably not to far from you as Tiny said check out the Canadian Watercross tour as well, they are HUGE supporters of amateur racing.

+1
    Hello, you may also want to contact PM Sports Marketing. They are an IJSBA sponser / promoter. They are in Chesterfield, MI. 586-773-2856, or [email protected] Hope this helps

+1
    Has Pat put on any races lately???

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnnycyclone View Post
    Any tips would be appreciated.

Thanks....Terre
    Hi. I would highly advise getting some protective gear. ou know what they say, rubbing is racing!!! (means you will bump other skis, especially in the novice classes) You will have a blast, but I'd love to see the kids have at least a good helmet, leg guards, and back protector. The more race savy guys can tell you what is the best, but here is a page to give you an idea.

http://www.jettribe.com.au/Protective-Riding-Gear

+1
    I am not trying to shoot down the idea of buying JetTribe stuff, but you may want to double check to make sure their stuff meets USCG requirements....They had a few issues at the World Finals the last 2 years with life jackets or helmets not being USCG compliant....

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiny View Post
    I am not trying to shoot down the idea of buying JetTribe stuff, but you may want to double check to make sure their stuff meets USCG requirements....They had a few issues at the World Finals the last 2 years with life jackets or helmets not being USCG compliant....
    Totally understood. I have been out of the race scene so long that I have no idea who makes the best. I just happened about the site and used it as a reference for the type of stuff he might want to get. All good !!!

This is exactly what I was looking for, and I agree safety is the main concern. I will start doing some research, thanks again.....Terre

+1
    Check with Amy Green or Ray Proulx ..they are the ones who run the Canadian Watercross, they are both great friends of mine and go out of their way to help new racers to our sport..They can be found of Facebook if you have one.

The required gear is a helmet and a PFD.. You can add shoes, gloves, leg protectors, back protector, hans style device if you want...

Enjoy!!!!!

Thread Information