Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

? about nozzle sizes, degrees, and reverse gates etc. plz help noob

Ok, I actually have a Yamaha 212ss boat.
    I am trying to test if going from a 3 degree nozzle to a 5 degree nozzle will increase speed.
    I have a 3 degree nozzle, 85mm. I believe it is the same as a XL800. 66V W1 I measured it to be at 3*
    EXCEPT.....................
    I have to have the holes tapped on top and bottom, not on the sides because we don't have the trimmable pumps on the boats.

I actually was doing this to TEST if that is a viable option for our boats. If so, it could really shake things up over here. Currently, we can add trim tabs, but we have no way of bringing our bow out of the water, and, at 3* trim set, we plow through the water, sacrificing top speed. I have looked a a LOT of video and taken a lot of measurements on it all, and I believe a 5 degree pump would be enough to make a decent difference.

So, the question comes down to this:
    Do I buy some 5 degree nozzles? I have only found ones that are 87 mm, not 85 mm.
    Will that make a difference?
    Should I just jump ahead and get the trimmable nozzles for testing?
    What then do I do about the reverse buckets? will they work on the boat's setup? I am sure I can manufacture something no problem really, but what's going to be easiest?

Some may say that the extra 1-2 mph won't be worth it.
    I would say that trim tabs are stupid expensive, and only bring nose down, which we have too much of already.
    Also, I would say that individual pump trim would be awesome for wake sports such as wake-surfing which is HUGE in our community.

Help me out guys!
    Lee AKA Speedling

+1
    Sorry that I posted something outside your realm of knowledge. Thought there would be SOME insight on the nozzles.
    I'll let you know what I find...... when I have funds to buy something.

+1
    Its a slow time of year. Alot of members don't visit the forum much in the winter time. I'm curious to see what you find.

+1
    some of us have been entertaining going from 5* to the 2.5* or 3* to reduce porpusing effect that some ski suffer from, please keep us up to speed on your findings !!!

+1
    Ok, for anyone reading this anymore....
    I have round that there are nozzles at 5 degrees, BUT, are any of them 5 degrees AND the threaded bosses on top and bottom vs side to side?
    The boats only have a steering nozzle, NOT a trim nozzle.
    OR, do they have bosses, but they aren't threaded? Can I drill and tap them? Would it still be the same dimensions?

I think some may be flipped compared to mine as well...
    I have a "notch" on top along with a boss that is not drilled on my nozzle, but probably used for ski's water feed. Boats use something on the piece before the nozzle.
    Also, I have the bolts on top and bottom.. where the notched piece is as top.
    I have two screw holes on either side for anodes as well.
    http://yamahajetboaters.com/forum/vi...hp?f=7&t=19287
    That is a site with some good information and pictures of the nozzles etc.
    I haven't been able to find too much info.

ALSO, can these nozzles be turned/flipped? That may solve a LOT of the issues finding one!
    Last edited by Speedling; 03-07-2013 at 11:50 AM.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedling View Post
    Ok, for anyone reading this anymore....
    I have round that there are nozzles at 5 degrees, BUT, are any of them 5 degrees AND the threaded bosses on top and bottom vs side to side?
    The boats only have a steering nozzle, NOT a trim nozzle.
    OR, do they have bosses, but they aren't threaded? Can I drill and tap them? Would it still be the same dimensions?
    the trim nozzle have threads on the side for the orbital ring your going to have to gig around for steer only nozzles in less than 5* i'm sure someone on here might know , come on guys, help him out !!!!!

+1
    I can't think of any 5 degree nozzle that don't have trim. Some do have the bosses for the Reverse bucket that'll need to be drilled and tapped.
    Speedling, you may have to fab up a bracket and threaded rod to hold the trim at a fixed neutral position if you can't find one without trim. Look at pictures of an AutoDrop nozzle for ideas on fixing the trim solid.

+1
    Fixing the trim solid is a piece of cake. I've done it on a couple of Seadoos. Simple L shaped aluminum bracket bolted to trim ring and back to one of the 4 nozzle bolts. The last one I did had 3 holes for the trim ring so you could actually set the trim, so to speak.

+1
    i think the xlt and/or the suv came with non trim nozzles, the xlt might also have the 2.5* or 3* nozzles as well

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by big john View Post
    i think the xlt and/or the suv came with non trim nozzles, the xlt might also have the 2.5* or 3* nozzles as well
    The XLTs came with trim, but they do have a 3* degree nozzle.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information