Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

2002 virage i intake grate

Hi everyone

I seem to have lost my intake grate and just need a bit of help identifiying all the parts i need to get. There seems to be a plug or insert that has come out of the hole in the front, that i assume the plate screws into.
    If any one could provide any information on this it would be very much appreciated. I think the grate part number is 5630542-067.

Regards

Rowdy

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF1943.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	38.5 KB 
ID:	291437

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF1944.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	37.6 KB 
ID:	291438

I'm addicted to Polaris PWC ghostinstallations's Avatar
    +1
    Typically there is a brass insert embedded in a solid material that gets inserted and epoxied from the inside of the hull, looks like the brass insert failed.

Looks like you need to a aquire a new insert and epoxy it in.

Quote Originally Posted by ghostinstallations View Post
    Typically there is a brass insert embedded in a solid material that gets inserted and epoxied from the inside of the hull, looks like the brass insert failed.

Looks like you need to a aquire a new insert and epoxy it in.
    thanks ghost i will try to find a drawing with that on it

+1

Banned User
    +1
    Some of the earlier hulls, The 94 SLT 750 comes to mind, used a regular locknut inside the hull for the intake grate. Worst case scenario, you could use a locknut with a large washer and some silicone to reinstall the grate. The hard part about that setup, is that it becomes a 2 man job to install an intake grate, unless you can get really creative.

+1
    One of my SL's had the same issue when I got it. The intake grate was gone as was half of the brass insert. I took a very large phillips screwdriver and dead blow hammer and gave the insert a few taps upward and it popped right out. Once that was removed I cleaned up and scuffed the surfaces, mixed up some epoxy and installed the insert with the intake grate/screw pulling it tight. Once the epoxy was fully cured after a couple days, I removed the intake grate, caulked the mating surface and reinstalled it. Pretty quick and easy repair. It'd probably be easiest to remove the pump/driveshaft to gain better access to the top side of the insert.

Quote Originally Posted by lilman573 View Post
    I think you are right lilman

this is part 15

http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/asse...6&d=1359675905

and this is the stuffed one

http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/asse...6&d=1359675924

they look similar in size at least.
    Last edited by K447; 01-31-2013 at 08:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ThrottleOut View Post
    One of my SL's had the same issue when I got it. The intake grate was gone as was half of the brass insert. I took a very large phillips screwdriver and dead blow hammer and gave the insert a few taps upward and it popped right out. Once that was removed I cleaned up and scuffed the surfaces, mixed up some epoxy and installed the insert with the intake grate/screw pulling it tight. Once the epoxy was fully cured after a couple days, I removed the intake grate, caulked the mating surface and reinstalled it. Pretty quick and easy repair. It'd probably be easiest to remove the pump/driveshaft to gain better access to the top side of the insert.
    Thanks ThrottleOut , I will try and do it without pulling anything apart as i am a bit scared I will stuff more than i fix ( my first jetski) . What do you mean by caulking the mating surface , is that just with the silicone sealant on the grate.

Thanks for everyones help

Rowdy

+1
    Pulling the pump assembly off sounds more difficult than it actually is. On the Polaris skis it's actually very easy to do. But, it's your call. If you do a quick search I know there's a how-to stickied somewhere here.

That is what I meant by caulking the mating surface. If you look in your pictures, the surface on the hull that the intake grate is pulled up against has a layer of caulk. You'll want to clean off what's there as best as you can and then apply some new caulk. The back side where the intake grate sides into should also be filled with caulk as well. This is more to reduce drag than anything else.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by ThrottleOut View Post
    Pulling the pump assembly off sounds more difficult than it actually is. On the Polaris skis it's actually very easy to do. But, it's your call. If you do a quick search I know there's a how-to stickied somewhere here...
    Indeed, see this thread regarding removing the jet pump;

http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/show...=1#post1439122

Let me put this another way. Your Polaris watercraft is NOT young anymore. It needs things fixed. And many other things need to be taken apart and checked. Just the nature of an old watercraft, of any brand.

You have to be willing to work on it. Otherwise, things will be wrong (and often unknown to you until you dig into it), things will fail, and the entire machine will just not be reliable. It might even run for a while, but sooner or later it will demand that this maintenance and renewal work be done. When I say sooner or later, sooner can be seconds or minutes after you get it running on the water at speed.

This Greenhulk web site is by far the most helpful and comprehensive you will find for Polaris watercraft. My signature links lead to an expansive trove of useful info and further helpful web links.

YouTube - Polaris PWC 148mm jet pump removal

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information